how to become a charter skipper

mck54

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after years of fishing with my own boat i want to step up and become a charter skipper . what qualifications and regulations do i need to do this .i cant find out online and would like some help please

Hi mck54

As has already been said on here, there is the MCA and various other certifying authorities, working in conjunction with the MCA. There is also a further option through your local authority harbour master.

The MCA have given harbour masters the option to certify charter boats up to a twenty mile radius of a given port. Not all harbour masters have taken up this option. But if you are in an area where your harbour master has this authority, you may find that this is a cheaper and less onerous method of getting into the charter business. As for personal certification, I am not sure what will be required by the various local harbour masters. Your local harbour master should be able to answer all your questions, or at least point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

I don't know how some charter skippers make ends meet. Except those that have another job as well.

One Irish skipper I spoke to last year told me that every skipper in the Republic has to have a second income, because chartering alone over there can’t sustain a family.

youll need DSC VHF license, Firefighting and first aid at sea

Remember the RYA route means that certificates need to be practical and theory and commercially endorsed (ML5, VHF and DSC give you that element).

Oh nealy forgot an approved engineering course! (though this depends on you boats hp and distance offshore).

All of the above are pretty straight forward and get progressivly tougher towards Offshore Yachtmaster and Ocean Master (OM is not an examined element in practice).

Boatmasters - this is administerd through the MCA, an MCA man comes to your craft asks you some questions including nav. and mechanical. Youll need the DoT licenses as well. I would choose Boatmasters if you have a lot of experience and know the theory well. The RYA route if you need to develop skills.

Personally I would contact MCA first and seek their advice, and with any luck youll have a Master Marina tell you about how it used to be in his day!

There is absolutely no diference in the quality, excellent skippers will have either and many none!

One Irish skipper I spoke to last year told me that every skipper in the Republic has to have a second income, because chartering alone over there can’t sustain a family.

I'm not surprised.

I'm self employed and have scribbled a few sums down in the past relating to this (not considering it, just curious) and I just don't see how it can make money. I bet I missed loads of costs, too.

I wonder how many choose skippering as a lifestyle change, rather than a career one?

Not knocking anyone who does it, and if somebody tells me they've made millions by it, I take my hat off to them. I just think it's a very hard way to earn what is a (possible) set amount per day. In a lot of businesses, the sky's the limit - with charter boats, there's a maximum they can earn per day.....and that is if everything works in their favour.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

:lol::lol:

I'm not surprised.

I'm self employed and have scribbled a few sums down in the past relating to this (not considering it, just curious) and I just don't see how it can make money. I bet I missed loads of costs, too.

I wonder how many choose skippering as a lifestyle change, rather than a career one?

Not knocking anyone who does it, and if somebody tells me they've made millions by it, I take my hat off to them. I just think it's a very hard way to earn what is a (possible) set amount per day. In a lot of businesses, the sky's the limit - with charter boats, there's a maximum they can earn per day.....and that is if everything works in their favour.

Hi Elton

So the idea is to make a profit? Your beginning to sound like my bank manager. :lol:

Apart from the big commercial companies, I don't think anyone goes to sea expecting to make a fortune. There are times when it's wet and windy and the fishing poor, another breakdown happens and you think why do I bother, but then the fishing/weather improves and your on cloud nine again.

It's certainly an emotional roller coaster ride, for me, getting through the winters is always a financial struggle particuarly like this year when we have our 5 year survey and I will have to lay out a couple of grand on surveys, mainenance, Insurance etc after no income since the end of October.

I know if I put the same hours into any other business I could double or treble my income but I can't see how any ammount of money could have given me the same enjoyment I have had over the last 18 years.

Often quoted but "there is more to life than money" :lol::lol:

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

I'm not surprised.

Elton, selling crap bait for top money helps

:lol:

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hi Elton

So the idea is to make a profit? Your beginning to sound like my bank manager.

Apart from the big commercial companies, I don't think anyone goes to sea expecting to make a fortune. There are times when it's wet and windy and the fishing poor, another breakdown happens and you think why do I bother, but then the fishing/weather improves and your on cloud nine again.

It's certainly an emotional roller coaster ride, for me, getting through the winters is always a financial struggle particuarly like this year when we have our 5 year survey and I will have to lay out a couple of grand on surveys, mainenance, Insurance etc after no income since the end of October.

I know if I put the same hours into any other business I could double or treble my income but I can't see how any ammount of money could have given me the same enjoyment I have had over the last 18 years.

Often quoted but "there is more to life than money"

Bloody hell! Ian, we agree on something.

I fish to live and live to fish.