Who would you like to meet

Guest sandpipper

The one & only Muhammed Ali. Inspirational for what he achieved inside the ring and what he stood for outside it. :clap2::clap::clap2::clap:

The black superman? Certainly the greatest showman boxing ever had. Who else would call Leon Spinks "Blackula" and use "Rope-A-Dope" to beat George Foreman? Boxing could use another man like him. He lives about fifty miles south of me, but I've never met or seen him.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The black superman? Certainly the greatest showman boxing ever had. Who else would call Leon Spinks "Blackula" and use "Rope-A-Dope" to beat George Foreman? Boxing could use another man like him. He lives about fifty miles south of me, but I've never met or seen him.

I never appreciated Ali when I saw him on TV, always running off his mouth. Thought he was arrogant, obnoxious and a lot of other things. Newt and I now watch his bouts on ESPN Classic and the man is in a league of his own. When he struggled to light the olympic flame at the Atlanta Olympics he certainly gained my respect. Most people would refuse to be in public and let people see their diminishing health but he has been a great advocate in the fight against Parkinson's.

BTW: You seen his daughter box against Foreman's daughter? Interesting to watch.

I used to photograph Ronan a lot, got to know him quite well, he is a really nice genuine guy.

I also met the Dalhi Lama last year, even though I only had a few minutes you can tell he is an amazing man, and has a fantastic sense of humour.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

I never appreciated Ali when I saw him on TV, always running off his mouth. Thought he was arrogant, obnoxious and a lot of other things. Newt and I now watch his bouts on ESPN Classic and the man is in a league of his own. When he struggled to light the olympic flame at the Atlanta Olympics he certainly gained my respect. Most people would refuse to be in public and let people see their diminishing health but he has been a great advocate in the fight against Parkinson's.

BTW: You seen his daughter box against Foreman's daughter? Interesting to watch.

His badass attitude was part of his marketing plan: whether you loved him or hated him, you wanted to watch him fight to see if he could do what he said he was going to do. He usually did. I remember him "fighting" a sumo wrestler in Japan in the late '70s; when the crowd booed he shouted something like, "I'm getting paid, I'm getting paid!" :rolleyes: He certainly wasn't boring.

Never watched his daughter box. My favorite bout was Thomas Hearns/ Marvin Hagler in 1985, called "the greatest three rounds of boxing in history". Awesome.

Edited by severus

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

I also met the Dalhi Lama last year, even though I only had a few minutes you can tell he is an amazing man, and has a fantastic sense of humour.

I saw him interviewed once and he said that he liked to take broken watches apart to repair them. He was asked if many of them worked again, and he said that so far he hadn't managed to put any back together agin! :lol:

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.