Camera suggestions - HELP!

Newt

I need a new camera. I'm leaning heavily toward a Canon Powershot but have some confusion as to exactly which one.

I could be talked into another brand but I had such a good experience with my A-60 (until it recently went missing - I just don't know where I put the dang thing) and the one before it (sitting at the bottom of Badin Lake in about 80 feet of water along with my tackle box) that I sorta lean toward getting another similar one.

- Price is an issue since I have a bad habit of losing cameras either in the lake or 'who knows where'. Under $300 for sure and less would be nice.

- I need one that does well with basically a "point & shoot" since that is the way I will use it almost all of the time

- I do not want one that allows for lens changes

- Traveling and taking pictures of fish will be the main uses

- Stabalization would be a good feature

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Canon Powershot A620 is being well rated. Have a look here where dedicated DSLR users discuss their Point & Shoot choices. A long thread but worth reading.

Edited by Lid

Panasonic? I believe it has a 12 zoom and image stabilisation. I will have a further sniff around and see what else..

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

This is the page detailing "Dave's Picks" on Imaging Resources: http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

As you can see Canon is well-represented. I have a Powershot S2IS that came out particularly well, and which I'm very pleased with. It has image stabilisation and a 12x zoom, but at $400+ may be over your budget.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I use a Canon A95 Newt, it's reasonably simple, although it can be complicated if you want it to be.

Any of the pics I've put on here in the last year or so will have been taken with it.

I believe the A620 is more or less a direct replacement for the A95.

Forgot to mention that at the top of the Dave's Picks page are several categories. These link to lists of specific cameras for various purposes.

After these links are a list of the most popular cameras with readers.

At the bottom of the page are Dave's own recommendations with comments plus a link to a full review.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I could be talked into another brand but I had such a good experience with my A-60 (until it recently went missing - I just don't know where I put the dang thing) and the one before it (sitting at the bottom of Badin Lake in about 80 feet of water along with my tackle box) that I sorta lean toward getting another similar one.

You know those cameras that are "throw-aways" mostly made of cardboard? :yahoo:

is that an SLR? if so then not too sure.. aint researched em enough yet to decide which is best.. gonna get one soon tho me thinks :D

i read loads of reviews n stuff both online and mags for around 4 months b4 making my purchase, spent what seemed like ages n ages researching and eventually took the plunge based on my findings and ended up buying my PENTAX

boy was i so pleased i did.. me & my m8 go fishing together he's since sold his canon on ebay and purchased a Pentax after seeing the results.

which ever u chose is a good choice mind.. i'm just picky..

good luck fella..

p.s. go around all the shops & like a car take em all for a test drive around the shop and take ur time... after a dozen or so shops trailing em all that's when i decided and so should u..... not saying u should get a pentax just be mightily thourough in your choice :D

Edited by Blue Marlin

Thanks all.

After taking your suggestions onboard (except that I haven't done any driving around to test-shoot any as of yet) I'm sort of leaning to the A610. Slightly less camera and slightly less money than the A620 but the stuff it lacks is most likely stuff I would never need. Hopefully.

A nice review http://www.epinions.com/content_210581622404

Since the move to a better camera would only be another $60-$80 I could easily spring for the A620 or equiv so if a look over the review above shows any glaring omissions, I'd love to know what. I don't plan to use the thing for any video clips but only for single shots.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

After taking your suggestions onboard (except that I haven't done any driving around to test-shoot any as of yet) I'm sort of leaning to the A610. Slightly less camera and slightly less money than the A620 but the stuff it lacks is most likely stuff I would never need. Hopefully.

If you're willing to forego image stabilisation and are not likely to do big enlargements, I reckon this is an excellent choice. In fact, if Peggy's A80 ever went missing this is probably what she'd end up with!