newbie in a hobie

spuds

Hi Spuds

I have fished Braunton Burrows several times in the past . It wasn't uncommon to catch 14 - 15 cod to 5 lb

but sadly not any more . The last two times I fished there some 6 years ago I never had a bite.

I can sit in the lounge and watch the TV all night and get those results . :rolleyes:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean CHUGGS.

Still there are plenty of other fish species about.I was really pleased with the Bass and was surprised to catch one in january.

Another couple of weeks and some warmer weather will hopefully see a big improvement on the fishing front.

Regards, :thumbs:

Hobie Mirage Outback.

Hi Spuds, a little bit distant here but a pal of mine Steve moved to Westward Ho a few years ago and he, his son Nick and another guy Rob all acquired blue and white RTM Mambos last September and have been pottering around The Gut, the beach and the estuary up to Appledore. Saw him last week, is he is planning to take the Yaks to Lundy in April (not paddling !). Fished that area last year from the shore and think that fishing it from a Yak could be 'very Interesting'. Good Luck.

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

:) HI MOONYAKER.I've kept to the estuary myself at the moment untill i get more experience.

Lundy island is a marine reserve with no fishing allowed on the east side :( .However for just kayaking and exploring it should be quite an adventure for your friends as the wildlife and views are amazing.I'm sure the kayak fishing will be even better than the shore fishing.I recently picked up an old local fishing guide book dated 1960.this shows the best methods and marks for both shore and inshore sea angling.I'm looking forward to trying some of the reef drift lining marks shown.

REGARDS ,SPUDS.

Hobie Mirage Outback.

Hi spuds

im in braunton. youve just done my head in though as im about to buy a p13, but have just checked your yak out online and it seems to have a lot of benefits.

do you or anyone else know how it compares in terms of speed and sea worthness with the 13.

plus how reliable the drive is as i wouldnt want to be stuck round a point with just a paddle as ive read its not great for paddling?

cheers

iz from North Devon - Prowler 13 - Travel light, keep 'em tight - ooh!

2007 Catches: Sea Trout 3/4 lb,.........

2007 Endeavours: Investigate the estuary

MyFishingKayak.co.uk

Hi Kishkash,

I have a Hobie and have found it to be great, especially if you want to fish hands free.

Have a look at this page. There is a link to a comparison table about a quarter of the way down:

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/ri_fishing_kayaks.asp

Let me know if you want to have a look at one.

I'm sure the other guys can tell you more about their Yaks stability etc. The Hobie Outback is a little wider than the P13, but I guess the added primary stability has to come from somewhere.

Using the bigger muscle group of the legs on the Mirage drive means that you theoretically get less tired when travelling the same distance. Obviously its all relative to fitness and technique etc (not that I have much of either!)

If I had more storage I would probably go for the Hobie Adventurer, as it seems to combine the slim-line dimensions of a faster kayaks, with the added benefit of the Mirage drive:

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/ri_fishin...shing_Kayaks=22

I'm not sure of the price, but I can put you in contact with the Dealer who will be able to get you one from the States.

They are all raving about it on the US Hobie sites:

http://kfs.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/5086057385

Good luck, with your choice. :)

Dave

Kayak - Hobie Mirage Outback

Location - Paignton

Hello Fellas ,

Er indoors has booked one of those sun holiday offers and we're off to coombe martin at the beginning of may. if any one would be kind enough to PM me with advise on adjacent marks /launch sites i'd be eternally grateful. :)

Ok Prowler 13

:) Hi kishkash,I'm new to the sport but from surfing the forum you won't regret buying the p13.

As for the Hobie I have found no problems paddling her although she is quite wide and heavy compared to the more conventional style kayaks.

The mirage system propels me along at about3-4 knots with little effort.This leaves your hands free in order

to correct the course via the rudder handle and to keep hold of the rod when towing lures or drifting.

On my first trip i was out for nearly seven hours and did'nt get tired .I enjoyed both paddling and peddling the hobie and got from the lower reaches of Bideford to Crow point several times.This was despite the 2-3 knot tide flows.

I suspect the sea keeping will not be as good as a p13 as the slimmer p13 hull will move beneath you more easily.Also the p13 will handle the swells and surf better.

However it was the hands free fishing aspect that swayed me.Also because she is quite a wide arsed kayak there is plenty of stability and interior comfort as a fishing platform.

At this time i have heard nothing but praise regrding the mirage system,which is easy to maintain and appears to be of rugged construction.However time will tell on that one.

Look forward to seeing you out on the water.

Regards,SPUDS. :fishing:

Hobie Mirage Outback.