Help with spinning

xiqual fish

Greetings....

I aquired a cheap spinning set up and tried giving it a go yesterday for the first time, my reel was set up with 6lb line so i used a 4.5 lb tracer (since that was the closest to 6lb i had). i lost my first spinner up a tree before even hitting water, i lost about 3 more spinners by snagging in the water and after about an hour to an hour and a half i lost a plug up a tree and managed to snap the stem of my reel in the process.....Game over :wallbash: ....... any pointers in what i did wrong or could do right is appreciated.

Cheers

Don't buy cheap tackle, learn to cast, use suitably strong line etc etc!

If you want to give it a go again get some 20lb fireline, some 30lb traces, a reel with a working handle, some spinners heavy enough to be able to cast without too much effort and fish a bit of water with less trees and not too many snags. As you get the hang of it you will be able to fish more difficult areas, but to start off use some reasonably balenced tackle and learn how to use it properly.

Tim

Just be careful when pulling a lure out of a tree or snag. If it comes free it will fly back at you with some speed. They are lethal with the treble hooks on them.

Why don't you take your outfit over the park and just practice casting? When you are confident, go back to the river.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Greetings....

I aquired a cheap spinning set up and tried giving it a go yesterday for the first time, my reel was set up with 6lb line so i used a 4.5 lb tracer (since that was the closest to 6lb i had). i lost my first spinner up a tree before even hitting water, i lost about 3 more spinners by snagging in the water and after about an hour to an hour and a half i lost a plug up a tree and managed to snap the stem of my reel in the process.....Game over :wallbash: ....... any pointers in what i did wrong or could do right is appreciated.

Cheers

Yor not related to Frank Spencer are you ? :lol:

Greetings....

Cheers

I might be wrong but it seems you might be a bit of a novice to fishing am I right? To be Frank (no pun intended) you need to seek the help of someone who would be able to give you some bankside tuition, are you a member of a local angling club? If so seek some help from one of the members.

I think Steves idea about practising in the park or a field, is a great idea, I've used it teach novices. A word of cauton though, don't use a lure, unless you've taken the hooks off first, best to use a small weight, suitable for your rod, make sure its pretty quiet when you go, people don't like being hit with flying objects, and dogs can be a nuisance, and think you're playing 'fetch'. Don't try to hit the horizon, just a gentle swing out, let the rod do the work. Go for accuracy, before distance, place a target on the ground, apiece of cloth or similar, aim to drop on it. Work your way up, practise will bring confidence and control, which in turn will bring distance. Good Luck Mate.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

xiqual fish,iam just in the process of re-equiping with new rods and reels (from decatholon,dragoncarp ect) and have just brought two abu garcia spinning rods for £20 from the dragoncarp shop at hucknall,one ultralight rod (2-10g) and a abu garcia 400 series (10-30g) rod and i've only got about 30 mepps spinners plus a few plugs (in need of hooks) i havn't done much spinning in the last 5 years so its like starting over,im intending to do some in the closed season on the canal (erewash) for perch and chub ,i need to get some forcepps and things for unhooking then i'am ready to go.if you want we could meet up sometime and have a pactice session ? as i only live in ilkeston.

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

xiqual fish,iam just in the process of re-equiping with new rods and reels (from decatholon,dragoncarp ect) and have just brought two abu garcia spinning rods for £20 from the dragoncarp shop at hucknall,one ultralight rod (2-10g) and a abu garcia 400 series (10-30g) rod and i've only got about 30 mepps spinners plus a few plugs (in need of hooks) i havn't done much spinning in the last 5 years so its like starting over,im intending to do some in the closed season on the canal (erewash) for perch and chub ,i need to get some forcepps and things for unhooking then i'am ready to go.if you want we could meet up sometime and have a pactice session ? as i only live in ilkeston.

That sounds like an offer i cant refuse, cheers mate :thumbs:

we'll have too set a date and a place,depending on weather,i can think of a few places around derby to goto or we could go elseware.what kind of rods ,reels and line do you have ? we'll see if its a balence problem your having.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Just be careful when pulling a lure out of a tree or snag. If it comes free it will fly back at you with some speed. They are lethal with the treble hooks on them.

Why don't you take your outfit over the park and just practice casting? When you are confident, go back to the river.

Correct Steve - hooked into some kelp plugging for bass last year in Luce Bay. Went for the direct pull and the result was two treble hooks wedged in my baldy scone-got my mate "Freddie the Bass" to pull them out BUTCHERS SHOP :(:(:(:(:(

Had to go to the pub to recover :drunk::thumbs:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy