Have Your Say

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddy, Bovey Tracey

I have been an angler for nearly thirty years and i can tell you straight that some species have declined to the point that they are not worth fishing for.I would no longer bother fishing from the shore for any ray on the south coast of england ,same goes for almost all the flatfish, cod(now an occasional catch)and the capture of any sizeable fish (ie half specimen size or above)is a rarity and a source of comment in the angling community. I can tell you what is out there,dogfish,ray,smoothound,pout,whiting,in fact almost anything without commercial value. A glimmer of light in the darkness is the bass.Large numbers of undersize bass are present in our estuaries,such as teign and exe,this is due,in part at least, to the enforcement of bass nursery areas where legal commercial exploitation cannot take place.That is where the good news ends,so many of the larger breeding bass are caught and landed in the channel approaches during winter that if you try and catch a decent bass from , say ,Slapton or Bigbury you will be in for a long wait. I would love to see an English Channel full of fish for everyone but the commercial exploitation of our common resource has got us into the situation we are in right now. We need a 5 year halt to commercial fishing,or at the very least a zoned closedown of some kind . It must be very dispiriting for the trawlermen to work so hard for an ever diminishing return.

For what its worth because the powers that be may never entertain it? i agree with eddy.

Wurzel/binatone/and ex councillor brian carrahger would say that such drastic measures where not needed, but they would would'nt they, i have come to the point that to listen to there opinions now is a total waste of time as they never seem to accept anything anglers have to say, and it is so boring and negative to agree to dissagree all the time, end of story...............

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

and??????????????

post-2-1140942703.jpg

post-2-1140942552.jpg

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=58720

Actually it was a Sea Fishereies Committee meeting on Friday, then straight down to Hampshire for the Anglersnet Fish-in on Saturday, then on to Portsmouth for the National Mullet Club AGM on Sunday.

Just catching up on my emails now :wacko:

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hello Stavey

i have come to the point that to listen to there opinions now is a total waste of time as they never seem to accept anything anglers have to say,

The reason for that is you are totaly wrong most of the time.

It's quotes like this

It must be very dispiriting for the trawlermen to work so hard for an ever diminishing return.

It is just not true, returns are not deminishing in most fisheries, in fact in some fisheries the returns are increaceing.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Eddy, Bovey Tracey

I have been an angler for nearly thirty years and i can tell you straight that some species have declined to the point that they are not worth fishing for.

For what its worth because the powers that be may never entertain it? i agree with eddy.

Wurzel/binatone/and ex councillor brian carrahger would say that such drastic measures where not needed, but they would would'nt they, i have come to the point that to listen to there opinions now is a total waste of time as they never seem to accept anything anglers have to say, and it is so boring and negative to agree to dissagree all the time, end of story...............

Very well said stavey one you have got to remember a commercial fisherman will admit to any wrong doing as far as damage to stocks they think they have a right to take what they believe to be rightfully theres not yours or anybody elses its theres they have a licence to catch it and you havent so its all mine .

WILL NOT ADMIT

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest binatone
Very well said stavey one you have got to remember a commercial fisherman will admit to any wrong doing as far as damage to stocks they think they have a right to take what they believe to be rightfully theres not yours or anybody elses its theres they have a licence to catch it and you havent so its all mine .

WILL NOT ADMIT

Now then big cod. I am not trying to start an argument here with you; I just want to ask you a few questions in relation to your comments above.

I promise to be as diplomatic as I can.

You run a successful charter business out of Whitby. You fish out of Whitby on the same grounds as many of the local commercial boats that are left fish.

You catch your fish on a (in the season) daily basis and return to port.

Do you ever get any hassle of local commercial fishermen, saying that’s our fish who do you think you are catching it?

Do you ever (intentionally) get any hassle off netters and potters who often have to go through the dangers of clearing anglers gear that has been snagged and lost on there gear?

Do you ever get any resentment from commercial fishermen when you have bumper days and they find it hard to catch fish in the trawl?

As I have said before the majority of the information (wrecks etc) that charter boats use will have come from the commercial sector.

Can you honestly say that there is a commercial fisherman in Whitby who would not go out of his way to give or help you in anyway possible to catch fish?

Has a commercial fisherman working out of Whitby ever refused you or any other angling boat any help whatsoever?

Has a commercial fisherman ever accused you any wrong doing?

Without getting into an argument think before you make statements like the one above and we will all live in some kind of trust and hope for the future.