When will we be confident again?

Jamie Beard

i usually stop fishing at the end of november and start again at about march. But 2 b honest wiv u i dont feel that im gunna catch afew decent fish ( at least 8) until the middle of may. wot about u?

i usually stop fishing at the end of november and start again at about march. But 2 b honest wiv u i dont feel that im gunna catch afew decent fish ( at least 8) until the middle of may. wot about u?

Hi Jamie, welcome to AN.

By stopping your fishing in November and starting again in March you are missing out on some quality fishing. Get to know your local river and find out where the fish shoal up and you can almost garantee some good fishing. I have managed to get out quite a bit this winter and caught plenty of roach, dace and chub.

Get out there, plenty of fishing to be done.

It always gets harder in the colder months Jamie,especially on still waters.

You can keep catching by using as light a line for your hook length and as small a hook as practical.I reccomended a 18 to 1.5 as a general size but if you are struggling try a 20 or even 22 to 1.1lb line.Also in the colder months you dont need to put in as much loose feed/groundbait as in the summer.

Feeding your swim (throwing a few loose maggots in where you are fishing) is very important at all times.Make sure you are accurate and put them in the same place each time. The best way to start with is "little and often" just half a dozen or so each cast or every 10mins.

If you are still struggling to catch (it can be a struggle for all of us at the moment) then try one of the commercial type fisheries.These are very heavily stocked and due to this the fish feed most days in all conditions.Might need to up your tackle a bit if its got lots of carp in it though.

Above all the best thing you can do when you are first learning is to find an experienced angler to go with.You can then learn much about catching fish and looking after them.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

i have limited my self 2 start going fishing on the 7th ov april. the reason being is that that is wen i break up frm scool for 2 weeks. at this time i fink i shud b able 2 catch a few more fish and im am lucky that there are 5 fishing lakes within 20minutes wlking distance from my house. My favourite 1 is stocked full ov fish such as roach, rudd, perch, carp up 2 20lbs, crucian and afew other types. but the lake is not really known as a carp lake.

the tactics i usually use that work through out fishing season is fishing ss, 4lb- 5lb line and a size 18 hook. next time i go fishing i will use your advice on the hooklink. but it disheartens me that 2 people i no and me have been on my favourite lake (at different times) and not even had a bite. also i know that myself and 1 of the other fisherman are gud fisherman. i guess that is the way fishing works!!! thanks 4 your comments!!!

Jamie, it's common practise to scale down your tackle for winter fishing.

Try lighter line on your reel combined with a fine hooklength. Balance your bait to your tackle. You say you use size 18 hooks, they can be a bit on the large side when targetting silver fish in a pond.

Invest in a packet of size 20 Kamasan B611 barbless hooks to nylon. They are an ideal size for fishing light with maggots.

I think the set up you have been using is the root cause of your lack of fish. Due to the cold weather, the silver fish are the main fish to target as they will still readily feed in winter. To successfully catch you will definitely have to fish much lighter. The 5lb line is way too heavy for the time of year.

You will also find that with a light hooklength your bait presentation will be much improved.

The best way to start with is "little and often" just half a dozen or so each cast or every 10mins.

..........and next time you think you've picked up half a dozen maggots to throw in, just stop and count them, I bet you'll find you've got nearer to twenty than to six.

Hi

If you want to catch something decent in the winter you could take up pike fishing .

It would a good idea to go with somebody who knows a think or two about pike fishing for the first few times

to show you the ropes and help with the unhooking.

Ian Flynn

Thank you everybody for your comments. as for the bit about pike fishing, there is a lake that contains quite afew pike about 5minutes on the bus from me but to be honest with you they are the only type of fish i do not like. i cant explain it but there is something inside me that doesnt like pike even though i absolutely adore fishings as a whole. On the other hand though i have a friend who loves pike but he has never caught a pike but i may still go along with him just for the experience. thanks

i only go fishing in the winter if i feel that conditions are right by the way they are not at the moment, cold easterly winds night time frosts clear river are not the best. however, if the winds are from the south west, night time temps above freezing and following a bit a rain then i love to trot a float for roach and dace on a river. often i have the river to myself and you stand a good chance of a big fish in winter. of course i feel that spring summer and autum are the best times to go fishing but winter can be a real delight, especially when you actually catch something. :lol:

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/