If commercials were the only fisheries left...

Anderoo

Now that might make the fishing a bit more of a challenge: whose s**t can catch the most, Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

I would have to be Bull s**t, :) there's loads of it in the angling papers.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to acknowledge that commercials do somethings right, they are more family friendly, they offer better facilities for women anglers, they offer better disabled access, they offer a safe environment for children and young anglers and they are popular.

I am on the committee of one of the largest clubs in Kent and we are trying to take on board the lessons we can learn from them in these areas.

It is easy to be holier than though and condemn them out right, without recognising what they do provide for, let's face it, a majority of anglers.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

You have to acknowledge that commercials do somethings right, they are more family friendly, they offer better facilities for women anglers, they offer better disabled access, they offer a safe environment for children and young anglers and they are popular.

I am on the committee of one of the largest clubs in Kent and we are trying to take on board the lessons we can learn from them in these areas.

It is easy to be holier than though and condemn them out right, without recognising what they do provide for, let's face it, a majority of anglers.

Quite right Tony, as I said some people want them,( I don't know about the majority of anglers though).

It's just not my idea of angling, maybe I'm old fashioned, but the idea of spending good fishing time,in a water based theme park, with hundreds of other people, casting into an overstocked water for half starved fish, just doesn't appeal at all.

Might as well stock the local swimming baths, and use them.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer

Down in Kent anglers are queing to get into them at the weekends in the summer; yet on our KAPS river strecthches we are lucky to have more than a couple of anglers at anyone time and you can always get a swim.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Gozzer

Down in Kent anglers are queing to get into them at the weekends in the summer; yet on our KAPS river strecthches we are lucky to have more than a couple of anglers at anyone time and you can always get a swim.

Sounds good to me :thumbs: maybe commercials do serve a purpose then. ;)

A good mix of responses to this one. The reason I asked is that I honestly don't know what I would do. To me, these places (and I am thinking of the purpose-dug, overstocked pool) symolise everything that fishing is not. However, I can't imagine a life without fishing. Let's hope it doesn't happen. :headhurt:

I think occasionally fishing them but targetting overlooked species (perch, bream, roach, sturgeon - joke :P ) would be the best compromise. The rest of my time could be spent online, moaning B)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Are there any "good" comercials? or indeed can such a thing exist?

Would you call Broadlands in Romsey a commercial? Or the Linear Fisheries lakes? They provide interesting fishing (though I prefer rivers), but i guess they fall outside the definition we're using.

john clarke

if you wish to avoid "commercial" fishery syndrome just take up sea fishing and get back to real life ;)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I thoroughly enjoy fishing small rivers, I generally match fish on 'Commercials', and I visit a variety of waters all over the country each year.

There are Commercials, where you can escape the crowds, and ones where the interests of the fish are paramount. I've visited mature Commercials, where you cannot see the next swim from any other swim, and ones with a mixture of fish, of all sizes, sometimes in different ponds so you can escape from carp!

I would visit them for sure, but maybe only certain ones that I enjoy visiting. Sometimes to bag up on small carp, or to chase 'munters', or to catch more 1lb roach than I've ever caught from a natural water.

As an example of what can be achieved, try an evening at Viaduct in Somerset. Fish Middle Pond for 15lb+ carp and you may have the place to yourself after 5pm, even in the height of summer. There are not enough small carp in there to pester those who hate them.

Commercials have provided a safe haven for wildlife in areas where it is difficult to sustain bird, insect and invertebrate life, and they give safe fishing for those who feel vulnerable fishing more public places.

But each to their own.........

Steve

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

Fishery info for the Westcountry:
www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

Guest rabbit

There is a commercial in Cheltenham where the fish are packed in so tight that the competition for food is incredible. Fished it once last summer to test the experience, it was fish a chuck, initially I used maggots, and was catching 3'' roach. Bored with this I decided to target the many carp in the lake, I had left my meat at home so soaked chum mixer and sunk it under a waggler on a size 6 hook, result 1lb or so roach vitually every cast. It wasn't fishing in my book, more of a brothel for the blankers :)