Barbados

relgans ten

Visited barbados 25years ago stayed at the st lawrence gap went there with a mate partyed quite a lot but found time to do a bit of fishing, i bought a rod and reel from a tackle shop in bridgetown i got friendly with one of the locals and he showed me how to catch snapper off the beach had some good fun and caught quite a few.

We also went out on a charterboat again the local lad new the guy who had the charterboat caught a few tuna nothing big best about 12lb i would say,we used flying fish for bait and also trolled with lures the local lad did lose something very big he got a bit excited and was giving the fish to much welly and he lost it the skipper game him a right rollocking said he should have known better but it was great also there was plenty of free beer if you wished but a great day out you should enjoy, it is a fabulas place not really that busy 25 years ago but they were building like hell then and i think maybe a little bit more commercial now.

PS dont forget to go on the jolly roger .

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Visited barbados 25years ago stayed at the st lawrence gap went there with a mate partyed quite a lot but found time to do a bit of fishing, i bought a rod and reel from a tackle shop in bridgetown i got friendly with one of the locals and he showed me how to catch snapper off the beach had some good fun and caught quite a few.

We also went out on a charterboat again the local lad new the guy who had the charterboat caught a few tuna nothing big best about 12lb i would say,we used flying fish for bait and also trolled with lures the local lad did lose something very big he got a bit excited and was giving the fish to much welly and he lost it the skipper game him a right rollocking said he should have known better but it was great also there was plenty of free beer if you wished but a great day out you should enjoy, it is a fabulas place not really that busy 25 years ago but they were building like hell then and i think maybe a little bit more commercial now.

PS dont forget to go on the jolly roger .

:clap2: I fished the breakwater at the harbour and had barracude to 10lb and tarpon to 30lb+

used small freelined livebaits, the locals used deadbaits on the bottom for grouper, snapper etc and caught a moray eel. :clap2:

I was in St James on the West coast in 1992. The locals used to anchor about 50 yards off the beach to catch their breakfast. Don't know what the fish were, but there seemed to be plenty of them. I saw thousands of all sorts of wierd and wonderful species snorkelling over the coral reefs close in.

We walked along the quay in Bridgetown and there were charter boats lined up like taxis. We were being offered fishing trips for $60, can't remember whether that was Barbados or US dollars but it was very cheap. I couldn't go though because I was on my honeymoon and the missus gets sea sick!

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I was in St James on the West coast in 1992. The locals used to anchor about 50 yards off the beach to catch their breakfast. Don't know what the fish were, but there seemed to be plenty of them. I saw thousands of all sorts of wierd and wonderful species snorkelling over the coral reefs close in.

We walked along the quay in Bridgetown and there were charter boats lined up like taxis. We were being offered fishing trips for $60, can't remember whether that was Barbados or US dollars but it was very cheap. I couldn't go though because I was on my honeymoon and the missus gets sea sick!

Did quite a bit of snorkelling myself i was out there,i went for 3 weeks always fancied going back with my present missis being to a lot of places but enjoyed barbados best of all ,i had a few rounds of golf at sandylane golf club gary sobas who is a resident in barbados was playing behind us played at midday a big mistake thought i could handle theire midday sun got a little roasted normally the sun never bothers me infact i like it but when you have got it as high as it is there you just dont realize just how much power it has.

barbados dollars were 4 to the £ when i was there and we paid 500 dollars to charter the boat .

Edited by big_cod

Untitled-1.jpg

Hello,

I go to Barbados maybe 1-2 times a year and do a lot of fishing there. This time of year is very good for fishing and the charter fleet target mainly Dolphin(dorado) and Kingfish(Wahoo). You can get on a Charter boat in Bridgetown near the Waterfront Cafe and a 4 hr shared charter is about £60. The problem with this is that it is not really enough time to get right out to the deeper water fishing grounds where the Marlin are. My best day out was with the boat Billfisher.

However, I now go out with locals although when I go I am in a different area. Try going to the fish markets at Oistins or Bridgetown and ask for a day out with a local boat. They will try and charge you stupid money but but don't pay more than £30. Interesting day as they mostly hand line and if you do this take some gloves.

Fishing off the beach/rocks is good first thing in the morning and just as it gets dark. Again the locals use hand lines but a good travel rod will get you some snapper etc. Use flying fish for bait or the white crabs you see on the beach. There is a tackle shop in Bridgetown called fisherman's corner, where you can get leads etc. Take some bubble floats as the bottom is really rocky in some areas.

Hope this is useful

Sean.

Hello,

I go to Barbados maybe 1-2 times a year and do a lot of fishing there. This time of year is very good for fishing and the charter fleet target mainly Dolphin(dorado) and Kingfish(Wahoo). You can get on a Charter boat in Bridgetown near the Waterfront Cafe and a 4 hr shared charter is about £60. The problem with this is that it is not really enough time to get right out to the deeper water fishing grounds where the Marlin are. My best day out was with the boat Billfisher.

However, I now go out with locals although when I go I am in a different area. Try going to the fish markets at Oistins or Bridgetown and ask for a day out with a local boat. They will try and charge you stupid money but but don't pay more than £30. Interesting day as they mostly hand line and if you do this take some gloves.

Fishing off the beach/rocks is good first thing in the morning and just as it gets dark. Again the locals use hand lines but a good travel rod will get you some snapper etc. Use flying fish for bait or the white crabs you see on the beach. There is a tackle shop in Bridgetown called fisherman's corner, where you can get leads etc. Take some bubble floats as the bottom is really rocky in some areas.

Hope this is useful

Sean.

Those white crabs you mention is what we used to catch snapper, went fishing on this lake not far from the hotel and caught a lot of fish dont have a clue what they were we caught them on branlings again this local lad took us to the lake, he took all fish away and sold them to a restaurant i think but we kept a couple and staked them at the waters edge when the waves lapped over the dead fish you had your hands in the sand around the fish and caught these litte white crabs as thay came for a nibble they were excellent bait for the snappers.

Edited by big_cod

Untitled-1.jpg

I know some residents of the BVI that swear by the use of frozen chicken and as a former resident I know that it works for snapper and its easy to buy, squid is ok to but goes smelly very quickly in the sun out there.

If you can, take some plugs with you and maybe a couple of top water popper types too.

When we fished for snapper the best times were dusk and into darkness, I think this is because they come out of their hidey holes in the mangroves or wherever and hunt in darkness.

Hope this helps a bit even if its not specific to Barbados.

Mark.