Letter From Anne Moyle

Elton

A Golden Opportunity

Little did I know that when I walked into the world of angling six months ago that I would be faced with a such a golden opportunity. After a lifetime as a commercial banker I was seen to have the right skills to roll out the charity ‘Get Hooked on Fishing’ nationally.

The charity has a clear aim in life ‘to build a brighter future and create more opportunities for young people by delivering fun and interactive training in the sport of angling’.

With such a great mission in life and overt support from everyone you talk to including the young people themselves how easy should that be?

Knocking on the doors of the trade seeking support by way of sponsorship, I am warmly welcomed by a few shining lights. Captains of their industry they can see that not only is it a good thing to do but that by getting a youngster hooked on fishing it delivers a ‘life time’ of repeat spend to the trade.

Open doors too at some of the government agencies who recognise that this is one of the few initiatives that really does keep kids off the streets and actually improves their ability to learn and communicate.

Stepping up to help, the Environment Agency, with their Angling Participation Plan and a newly launched strategy that actually includes delivering ‘social inclusion’. They support us in the knowledge that we teach our youngsters the basics of health and safety, how to behave around water and to look after and appreciate their environment.

Most importantly we teach them respect for the fish and for other anglers. That helps us to work together with many angling clubs, who unfortunately cannot always boast members who behave in the same way.

Sadly, though angling is no different from many sports in that there is mixed reaction to bringing young people and women into their clubs. Those dominated by the older male fraternity with large personal agendas and big egos have closed minds and closed doors to all and merely add to the problems of society today.

Perhaps the governing bodies could help? Recently established FACT and that really is the biggest confusion of all. Lots of associations all coming together yet it’s voice is lost by lack of support from those who really do count, the anglers themselves.

So here we are in 2006, more than 4 million anglers, less than 5% women, an ageing profile and a lot of open doors. What better time could there be for the industry to show some leadership join together and take advantage of this wonderful pinkish but very golden opportunity.

Anne Moyle Chief Executive Get Hooked on Fishing

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I would like to know how we can help with this specifically, My local club does a great deal to try and encourage young peple into angling. My view about getting more females into angling is based on my own experience with my own step daughters. They like to go fishing where there are good clean toilets, othere wise they will not go. I wouold like to see more done in schools and for our media espeically the BBC to be less antil angling.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I would like to know how we can help with this specifically, My local club does a great deal to try and encourage young peple into angling. My view about getting more females into angling is based on my own experience with my own step daughters. They like to go fishing where there are good clean toilets, othere wise they will not go. I wouold like to see more done in schools and for our media espeically the BBC to be less antil angling.

A long overdue national initiative Peter. Hopefully it will develope into the kind of 'cradle to the grave' mentality that the USA have in supporting fishing. Not sure how you would directly input into 'Get Hooked on Fishing' however in the past AN have supported Les Webber Angling Projects wth surplus tackle. Les has been at this game for far longer than any of the other more nationally supported organisations and his links with schools, police forces and local authorities provide first class support for kids from all over the UK including young offenders. Entirely due to his efforts 'fishing' is on the curriculum of a number of Berkshire schools. These activities are supported on a volunteer basis and surplus fishing tackle is always welcome. Budgie is organising another 'drop' in the coming months, so if you want to make a direct contribution then get in touch either with Budgie or with Les.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

We are back to the problem that kids get few opportunities for free fishing. Many kids (big and small) gradually get drawn from a few hours fishing to the whole day fishing. A whole day ticket will appear, at first, as a poor investment. We need the local venue where the outward bound child can go and fish for an hour or two in the morning as part of their day.

Where local clubs invest time in the kids it reaps rewards. So fishing is inherently popular.

It does appear that some clubs prefer their membership to be older.

Those lakes that encourage/tolerate children appear to have no problems with family trade, especially if there is a campsite.

Now maybe this is where the encouragement is needed. One off events are great for publicity but they just end up in kindling an interest but the fuel for the fire "just aint thar".

What should be done. Perhaps......

More flexible ticketing arrangements to suit those with little cash or attention.

Set out to attract families.eg picnic sites with free fishing, car park toilet etc linked to walks locally. Sites on/near supermarket, bus stop links in a day out guide.

Establish a network of family friendly venues on the style of disabled fishing platforms.

Not a few high cost spectaculars

C'mon what else can we dream up

"Muddlin' along"

I agree that angling should encourage new blood to enter our sport. But please note that I say 'angling', not an outside body in the name of angling. Here we have a retired commercial banker acting, I believe, for a political organisation with, I suggest, their own interests at heart. We have discussed this one at length in the past. No, its not reds under the bed, just a healthy distrust of those who act, uninvited, for their interests, alegedly in the name of angling.

Well said Mr Matthew,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic