Advice for newbie

jerseyram

P15 or SPTW sounds ideal. Size matters with these boats. If you are a "large" paddler who likes to carry the kitchen sink then the P15 is probably the choice.

If you are like me a lean mean paddling machine that likes to target marlin on just bamboo and string........................sorry slipped into fantasy land but you get the idea.............then the Scupper is probably ahead by half a length.

The Tarpon 160 might be worth a look as well, bit pricey when compared to the OK boats but excellent build quality and has its fans.

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the guidance. I guess the final choice will be marginal. I live near Gorey so intend to do most of my initial work on (not literally) the violet bank and Royal bay. As usual I start with an idea then get carried away and end up spending more than I expected to. Usually it is worth the extra stretch as if you aim lower you become unhappy with the choice at some stage. I hadn't really considered the SPTW as OK's catalog doesn't include a picture of the angler version. Almost same weight as P13, longer and £70 cheaper, hmm worth a look. And yes I do intend to buy 'RAT' free, one of the real advantages out here

PROWLER 13 - RED

Jersey, C.I.

Hello fellow Bean, have you tried Iron stores marine? to see how their prices compare.

When Nigel was there they used to only charge for the shipping which usually was comparable to VAT so one cancelled out the other, they might be able to source other makes if you ask them but so far i've bought three OK yaks from them and been very happy with the service.

I usually fish the north and west of the island,As Simon quite rightly pointed out the Corbiere race can be quite daunting for a beginner (at least it was for me) but there are lots of quiet wells where you can safely fish from out of the tide and cast into the run, at full flow your looking at about 7-10 knots in either a SE or NW direction over the causeway which if you were paddling (tracking) against is no fun esspecially if it's very choppy but it can be done, obviously it is better to wait for the tide to turn or slack water to make your return journey, the same goes for all the other races around the island.

This year I intend to do Seymore tower and the surrounding gullies which is superb Bass ground with all the Jap weed there, so I might see you out there, good luck with choosing a Yak My Prowler 15, my Caper and my mates Prowler 13 are all up to the task of this islands tidal stream, the two things you really need if you decide to yak this side of the island is ya passport :P and kayak surfing lessons (which i havent quite mastered yet) :cold::lol:

Never mind the East side, come to the North side (in my best Darth Vader voice)

rk3llw.jpg

A quick side note in case you dont have it, here's a handy link.

http://www.thebeachjersey.com/

Edited by Prowler

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

• 1 month later...
Hello fellow Bean, have you tried Iron stores marine? to see how their prices compare.

When Nigel was there they used to only charge for the shipping which usually was comparable to VAT so one cancelled out the other, they might be able to source other makes if you ask them but so far i've bought three OK yaks from them and been very happy with the service.

I usually fish the north and west of the island,As Simon quite rightly pointed out the Corbiere race can be quite daunting for a beginner (at least it was for me) but there are lots of quiet wells where you can safely fish from out of the tide and cast into the run, at full flow your looking at about 7-10 knots in either a SE or NW direction over the causeway which if you were paddling (tracking) against is no fun esspecially if it's very choppy but it can be done, obviously it is better to wait for the tide to turn or slack water to make your return journey, the same goes for all the other races around the island.

This year I intend to do Seymore tower and the surrounding gullies which is superb Bass ground with all the Jap weed there, so I might see you out there, good luck with choosing a Yak My Prowler 15, my Caper and my mates Prowler 13 are all up to the task of this islands tidal stream, the two things you really need if you decide to yak this side of the island is ya passport :P and kayak surfing lessons (which i havent quite mastered yet) :cold::lol:

Never mind the East side, come to the North side (in my best Darth Vader voice)

rk3llw.jpg

A quick side note in case you dont have it, here's a handy link.

http://www.thebeachjersey.com/

hi there nice to know there is more of us out there thinking of a prowler 13 myself to use with the fly . must look at iron stores ,have seen bournmouth which seem ok .

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Hi Beanies

In the process of moving so I haven't committed yet. Its between the P13 (smaller for storage) P15 (faster) and SPTW (fastest and good pedigree). Currently looking at a house on the beach but still East side, sorry Darth, I will not be coming over to the North side apart from an occasional paddle!

PROWLER 13 - RED

Jersey, C.I.

Hi there,

First post but lurked a while.

Just thought I'd come in on this thread as I myself am in Jersey.

I have a P13 too and fish Green Island to Seymore Tower .Not tried fishing the North coast yet but had fun paddling in the caves.

Like others have said...Iron Stores marine is a good place to start....I know they have a couple of P13 Angler editions atm....unfortunately the prices have gone up...if Im not mistaken you are looking at £499 for the P13 angler and £469 for the P13 standard.

On a side note...if you are out around the south of the Island kepp a lookout and say Hi...I ride a sunrise P13 and my bro-in-law rides a red caper.

Tight lines