Advice for newbie

jerseyram

I intend to start yak sea fishing this summer and I would appreciate any advice forthcoming from you experts out there. I went to the NEC last week for the go fishing show and saw the guys from johnson outdoors. I liked the look of the Prowler 13, angler version.

1 I will need a yak that is speedy and easy to use, Jersey has big tides and most of the fishing will be around the extensive rocky areas

2 I will need to find a supplier willing to transport to Jersey

Thanks in advance

PROWLER 13 - RED

Jersey, C.I.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jersey Welcome.

My requirements are similar to yours. I fish or pass through areas where there is reasonable current at times and require a kayak which I can make some headway with. In my neck of the woods, we have the Isle Of Purbeck whose coastline is of rocky terrain & where access to launch points are few..covering ground could be beneficial to the kayak fisherman here. Sounds like distance could be important for you too... depending on your height and body shape I'd also consider the Scupper Pro & Prowler 15.. both of these are faster kayaks. I'm looking to paddle a Scupper Pro this season.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Jersey.

welcome to our Mad house.

First off, there are no experts here, we are all newbies too.

We are learning as we go , and enjoying the experience of sharing what we do know between us.

There is another paddler in your neck of the woods called " Prowler " .( Mark and his son Reece ) very nice guy, sure he would enjoy some company on the water.

He rides a Prowler 15 and loves it, I ride one too and enjoy the space and freedom of movement it affords me.

Its a joy to rig for fishing too.

Dont know how much experience you have, but here is a great link to sit and read up on.

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Articles...tion/Index.html

On here you will find wealth of information stored, that will help you with most of your kayak fishing choices

and safety requirements.

Hope it helps, enjoy your reading. :)

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi Jersey,

I have just been out on my Prowler 15 this weekend and it is as stable as a rock. You will have to do something silly to tip it over like tackle a wave side on????

If you are thinking about transporting it on a 4 X 4 it will be a handful to get it on top.

ChrisW

Chris that sounds like a challenge! :D

I have a Scupper Pro (roughly same dimensions and weight). I would describe it as a manageable struggle, always gets a few looks when trying to get it on top of the Jeep.

Found an easy way of getting it off mind. Just not recommended, :rolleyes:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Chris that sounds like a challenge! :D

I have a Scupper Pro (roughly same dimensions and weight). I would describe it as a manageable struggle, always gets a few looks when trying to get it on top of the Jeep.

Found an easy way of getting it off mind. Just not recommended, :rolleyes:

Darnsarf it's time to change your signature!

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Welcome onboard, Jerseyram, like Yakity has already said, we are learning all the time, but having a lot of fun doing it.

It would be a good idea to try and contact Prowler as he will be able to guide you on the tides and rips in your neck of the woods, and how to handle them in a yak.

As for purchasing, ask the guys and Bournemouth Canoes if they can export, sure they would be up for it.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Jerseyram, I think you can get the VAT back over there. I am sure there is a dealer on Jersey/Guernsey though - which would ensure that you don't pay the dreaded RAT man. 17.5% is a useful chunk to keep in your pocket!

As has been said - the P15 is a much faster kayak than the 13 and is virtually the same weight, but a bit more money. The Scupper Pro is a very good kayak which will tackle tide runs better than the 13. It is cheaper, lighter but doesn't have as much room on bard. It will also track better in a seaway - wind or wave related. It lies lower in the water and therefore has less windage. It is a very, very stable due to the low centre of gravity. For a fisrt kayak in Jersey - with the tide runs you get, the Scupper or Prowler 15 would be my recommendation. The 13 is that bit harder work to paddle.

Don't try fishing the Corbiere Race in it - the rocks around the east of St Helier marina to the tower willbe fine though. You'll be able to go right in between them.......like Andrew Syvret in his alumium boat! Only quieter!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo