lure rod

viney

Looking for a fairly cheap, light lure rod and a small reel to go with it. Any recommendations? I won't be casting any big lures/spinners just small jig heads for perch in the margins.

Also can anyone recommend a light wire trace, I only need it to comply with club rules as I will be targetting the perch by sight, so as supple as possible please!

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

For wire when targetting perch I use Drennan Soft Strand in 10lb if I could find something supple that was lower in breaking strain I would probably use it but this seems quite good.

As far as rod goes, what size soft plastics and weight jig head are you planning to use, the combined weight will factor into the rod you need.

Anderoo is your man, he has recently evaluated every trace wire known to man!

Yup...and having done all that research clarification of the rules means he'll be using fluoro on the day. Don't you just love rulemakers.

Matt as regards the reel I'm still impressed with my Mitchell Avocet 1000 size if you can track one down. Askarai are listing them at £26.99 but have none in stock. JV44 has an impressive little spinning reel too, smoother than the Mitchell and according to him far superior because it has more ballraces, not sure how much it cost though.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

The best wire for this type of thing I've found is the 12lb 49-strand Nova silk from here: http://www.sovereignsuperbaits.co.uk/Accessories/Trace_Making/trace_making.html

(The 6lb is no longer available.)

10lb Drennan soft strand is OK but kinks and curls up easily.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Actually all the wire research (and expense!) was worth it, it means I can swap over to a rod with wire when drifting over shallower water where pike are more likely. Previously I just haven't fished those areas.

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Viney,

I don't know how flush you are but for the money you can't beat this-----

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/Shakespeare-Micro-Series-Spinning-Combos/1289827,default,pd.html#specifications

It's a 7' rod - they also have a 4'9" rod

Phone

I use a similar combo with an Ugly Stick rod - 5'6"

Edit - edit: I accidently caught a 25 - 30 lb carp - they are tough as nails

Edited by Phone

Actually all the wire research (and expense!) was worth it, it means I can swap over to a rod with wire when drifting over shallower water where pike are more likely. Previously I just haven't fished those areas.

dammit Anderoo coments like that will convince me I need another rod for just that sceanario thanks .

Viney the little reel in question is a Yoshikawa off e bay superb for the money and the 1000 size one looks the same body size as Chris`s inferior Mitchell

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: