To Kill a Burglar....

Bob Bradford

Guest rabbit
My dog is a black lab - not a pitt-bull, rottie, dingo or a wild wolf. She is a pet. But she scares the **** out of our local hoods. We have drug dealing and prostitution on the stairs that I have to walk past just just to take my daughter to school. If I'm on my own, I'm wary and give them a nod - just to get to my front door. If I'm with Molly, the stairs are cleared - they run away and I get letters through my door to say that I have a violent dog.

They are on the stairs? Must be really hard not to retaliate against that sort of thing, just where are the police in all this? Its bad enough these 'people' deal drugs etc on the streets, let alone inside someone elses property. Glad to hear Molly has got them running, they dont like it up 'em do they?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stairs in question are in our block of flats - not within my property - but I guess you knew that Rabbit :D:lol::P .

The Police never arrive quietly so have the same effect as my dog - everybody scatters. They also knock on the door of whoever rang them - flagging the fact up to the scum that have been have reported. One neighbour on the ground floor has the only double glazing in the block because her windows have been broken so frequently by the people she has reported to the police. I guess she's made of sterner stuff than me as she is still doing it. Me - I'm off to quieter climes with my family intact - sometimes retreat is the only option. That may make me a coward but at least I've still got all my stuff and I haven't had to visit my wife or child in hospital - or have them visit me. It's a sad indictment of modern times that, IMO, mob rule does just that. You are inviting trouble to your door for yourself and your family if you make a stand - and my fighting days are well behind me. Cut and run - it's not right and I shouldn't have to do it but it keeps everyone safe. A dead hero is no good to anyone!

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

Guest tigger
The stairs in question are in our block of flats - not within my property - but I guess you knew that Rabbit :D:lol::P .

The Police never arrive quietly so have the same effect as my dog - everybody scatters. They also knock on the door of whoever rang them - flagging the fact up to the scum that have been have reported. One neighbour on the ground floor has the only double glazing in the block because her windows have been broken so frequently by the people she has reported to the police. I guess she's made of sterner stuff than me as she is still doing it. Me - I'm off to quieter climes with my family intact - sometimes retreat is the only option. That may make me a coward but at least I've still got all my stuff and I haven't had to visit my wife or child in hospital - or have them visit me. It's a sad indictment of modern times that, IMO, mob rule does just that. You are inviting trouble to your door for yourself and your family if you make a stand - and my fighting days are well behind me. Cut and run - it's not right and I shouldn't have to do it but it keeps everyone safe. A dead hero is no good to anyone!

You're doing the right thing m8.

The only problem with tackling the scum (for me anyway) isn't the scum having a nother go but the police knocking on my door With a nasty charge for me. I'm really not bothered about the scum as once I've let them know my feelings they won't be back, but they'll go sobbing to plod who will go out of their way to charge me and help out the "poor victims".

Where I live now is a world appart from my home town "thank God" as I just couldn't turn a blind eye to the knob heads and I would probably be in one of Her Majestys hotels now had I not moved.

Tigger.

a little jiff lemon bottle with ammonia in will render any dog a whimpering cur ,protect your dog by covering its head in a dustbin bag

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest tigger
a little jiff lemon bottle with ammonia in will render any dog a whimpering cur ,protect your dog by covering its head in a dustbin bag

CS gas or a stun gun perhaps :lol:

Guest rabbit

stairs... :lol::lol::lol:

I used to live in London a few years back...before I was married, had a flat in N18 near White Hart Lane (ish,) well we had street traders, prostitutes, gangland killings, and some great pubs, but we never seemed to have the 'hoody' type of trouble that infects our streets now. They really are the biggest cowards, and only hunt in packs, the thought of having a dog teach them a bit of respect is appealing I do feel a lot of sympathy with your situation, and as a family man you have to be sensible, but God only knows it must wind you up.

If you ever are in these neck of the woods Gloucestershire /Worcestershire it would be a pleasure to buy you and yours a drink or three :) Fishing good too!!!

Edited by rabbit

Cheers Rabbit - and if I'm ever in your neck of the woods I'll take you up on that drink :thumbs:

You're right mate - it does wind me up. I'd love to "let them know my feelings" as Tigger so eloquently puts it. My trouble is because of a teenage experience of violent retribution visited on me in which I got my throat slashed with a modelling knife I always imagine similar consequences if I get involved. That has turned me into a bit of a coward and I often think, after a liberty has been taken, that I should have done something about it. Can't get over this mental block though. The wife reckons that someone will get it one day - "Coward of the county" style - and pay for all the liberty takers of the past. Hope it doesn't happen as I don't think I could handle a stay in one of her majesty's hotels!

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

While not condoning or condemning Tony Martins actions, I will at least partially defend rural Police actions or otherwise. As Elton knows, I spent 30 years in the Suffolk Police force, a large part of that on Rural patrol. Due to cut backs and efficiency schemes over the years, small Police stations have been closed and staff moved to what are considered more central locations. I am now thankfully retired but one of the last places I was stationed at covered an area approx 20 miles by 30 miles which is 600 square miles, to cover that you would have two or perhaps 3 single crewed cars. That is not a great coverage and if 2 cars have gone to something on one side of the area such as a road accident and something occurs the other side of the area that leaves one person to respond. Most houses in rural areas do not have road numbers, they have names which may not always be visible from the road in daylight, let alone searching at night using headlights. I have had occasions where you find a house and query the lack of name board, only to be told' It fell down last year and we never got round to putting it back, besides everyone knows where we live' They might, but I don't! I might be good, but I can't remember the location of every house in 600 square miles. People complain of speed of response but you may have 20 miles to cover to the parish then to locate the house. Narrow winding roads in almost total darkness, also thinking about what you are attending, be it a domestic dispute, an accident or criminal activity of some sort. You also know that it will be at least 15 minutes before you have any sort of backup. If you wait for backup, someone could die or offenders could make off, if you go straight in, as most people do then you could bump into the offenders and be injured by them. Even travelling to an incident can be stressful. If there were enough people to have two in a car at all times it would make a lot of difference when dealing with incidents.

There are not enough rural Police officers to cover an area properly. That particular area consisted of about 60-70 parishes, yes it is often no more than a fleeting drive through but in an 8 hour shift allowing time for computer and paperwork, enquiries of varying sorts to complete. there is also a target on so many minutes a day foot patrol. by the time you take out all the requirements that doesn't leave much more than 5 minutes per Parish if you try to visit each one at least once every day. Yes there are lazy Policemen, the same as there are in all walks of life, but being sent to a rural posting is not a rest cure, most are there because that is the sort of work they are best suited to and all would do more if they had smaller areas to cover and therefore more time to get to know the people in the areas they are responsible for. It is also very hard for the partner waiting at home if someone is late leaving off because they will usually know what the risks are from talking to the person, male or female who is out in the dark at the sharp end of Policing where our Political Lords and Masters do not venture.

Steam rules

our masters keep insisting we have more police but i saw a photo a few years ago and our 3 villages had 8 (yes 8 it was a bit wild out here 150 years ago) the ex village copper lives 5 doors away and our "local" policeman drives down our road every couple of months :rolleyes:

i posted on here about my finding a safe dumped down by the pond and the main policestation (now part time) aked me if i could bring it in :angry:

i rang the local cop shop on their number and ended up in devon? who then transferred me to farnham who asked me to bring it in ,when i declined they said i should get back to the call center (where i had first been) to see what to do ,i gave in running out of battery power phoned from home and 2 days later the "local" copper asked where it was ,any "scenes of crime" was long gone and the safe was logged as "lost" NOT stolen :o:o

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest Brumagem Phil

Here we go.........another case where the system drove a man to irrational action and now HE'LL be the one doing life.

Poor guy (yep your right, I have little sympathy for the dead kid, he'd taunted the guy for years and must have known that everyone has their limits when pushed)

http://www.nbc4.com/news/8152056/detail.html