Richard Seager/ Sea Angler Magazine

sam-cox

Unfortunately Dan that does in no way tally with my idea of a sport fisherman. :(

Ah but thats the beauty of it, everyones idea of sports fishermen is different, I hasten to add that I didnt do it and although this was a few years ago I have seen those same mates light line fish and put back bass and many other fish, but those winter wrecking trips were about fishing, a day with your mates and some fish for your freezer, and if youve got more than you need at the end of the day (you cant easily release pollack and ling brought up from the depths) why is it any different giving some fish to your friends to selling a couple of pollack?

Now I think that's very different from going out with the intention of catching what you can to sell it. But no matter how hard anyone trys I think they are on a losing battle if they try to make every salt water angler release all their catch. I do release fish regularly but I also fish for the pot. In fact if I couldnt keep any fish I prob wouldnt go, its one of the reasons I dont Coarse fish. I suspect I am not alone.

Anyroad as I said earlier on it would have been nice if the usual gang hadnt taken offence at each others posts, its a shame we cant bang heads together!

Dan

Edited by Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, You prob didnt mis read it I edited it cos I realised that it read like I thought you were trying to get everyone to catch and release, which you werent! So I think were saying the same thing,

Off to bed said zebedee!

dan

Can I ask a stupid question,

having never ate a fillet from a large bass (double) and having heard that they ain't that good to eat, why or who buys these fish and why when smaller bass taste better, surely the likes of resturants know this and so the "consumer" is getting ripped off ?

Might be a bit of stupid question or not an obvious answer, just a thought...

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image

I noticed that my local Sainsbury's are selling fillets of sea bass.

IMO, if you are going to retain bass for eating, the 3-4lb fish are best, which are better served as fillets, and means that one fish provides two (or more) meals, rather than 2 or 3 fish needing to be killed to provide the same number of plates.

But I agree that fish over (say) around 8lb don't usually make that good eating and are better left in the sea as prime spawning stock.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I noticed that my local Sainsbury's are selling fillets of sea bass.

IMO, if you are going to retain bass for eating, the 3-4lb fish are best, which are better served as fillets, and means that one fish provides two (or more) meals, rather than 2 or 3 fish needing to be killed to provide the same number of plates.

But I agree that fish over (say) around 8lb don't usually make that good eating and are better left in the sea as prime spawning stock.

Yep 2-4 lbers are the best in my book, I once kept a 15lb bass (it was 10 years ago and I still feel guilty!) it tasted ok but was drier and more meaty than a smaller fish.

Dan

After hearing about the contraversial catches of some very large bass I whent and bough Sea Angler magerzine.

There inside is Richard Seager with a fine brace of masive bass. Also reported is an 18.1lb bass caught by one of his very happy customers.

Now I have a fairly extensive grape vine when it comes to my fishing and acording to my grape vine Richard Seager is not only a good charter skipper but is a lisenced commercial fisherman.

Can anyone verifie this?, also can anyone tell me if the anglers pay Mr Seager for the fishing trips? or more sinisterly does he keep the bass the anglers catch and sell them to earn his money?

If these fish are being sold then I feel quite strongly that Sea Angler and Boat Fishing Monthly should not print these glory photos as a matter of princable.

Sam at the end of the day Sea Angler will print anything.....as it seems that they are starting to go down the Pan....and rightly so too....All you see is advertising!!! Bring on Total Sea Fishing thats what I say, it's a much better read anyway.

PK

Can I ask a stupid question,

having never ate a fillet from a large bass (double) and having heard that they ain't that good to eat, why or who buys these fish and why when smaller bass taste better, surely the likes of resturants know this and so the "consumer" is getting ripped off ?

Might be a bit of stupid question or not an obvious answer, just a thought...

Big bass taste fine as long as you let them 'mature' in the fridge for a few days, or freeze them. Many other fish benefit from a stay in the fridge, turbot and sole especially.

I did take a large bass last year as we had people round for dinner that night and I thought bass steaks would be better than what I had planned.

Wrong :rolleyes:

Tough as old boots :angry:

The rest of it was fine a few days later though :)

Anyway, all these bass caught in guernsey are most likely packed in ice and exported, so they will be nicely matured when they are eaten.

Guess I'll get the usual stick for mentioning eating bass :(