Richard Seager/ Sea Angler Magazine

sam-cox

Most of the English boats have some kind of fish hold or suitable alternative to store the Anglers catch. Watch them all load with fresh ice when they arrive. On a 5 day trip to Alderney last year (only one I've done), I was aware of no-one from any of the English Boats selling their catch - in fact, the skippers are very wary of this!

This is the reason I asked, if most of their catch gets put back then why do they need the ice? Guernsey Sea Fisheries reckon the UK charter vessels take 7 tonnes of turbot out of Alderney waters each year, about the same as the local commercial fleet (Alderney and Guernsey).

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to Alderney at the end of May, and ain't planning on bring anything back, same goes for all of my trips.

Scotty :thumbs:

Well done. What use are all of those small pollack etc that people seem to keep anyway. Taste like pants and generally people just chuck them. Bass are different but how many can a single person eat?

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

This is the reason I asked, if most of their catch gets put back then why do they need the ice? Guernsey Sea Fisheries reckon the UK charter vessels take 7 tonnes of turbot out of Alderney waters each year, about the same as the local commercial fleet (Alderney and Guernsey).

:clap2: But I bet the UK anglers put more into Alderney's economy that the local commercial fleet. That's what it's all about, best practice and value for money. A turbot is worth more to Alderney's economy if caught by an angler than by a commercial. :clap2:

Its also a shame that Mr Holt doesnt stick to just talking about common skate, as when he opens his mouth to slag us bass anglers off some fool speeks!

The only fool speaking here Sam is you.. try reading what I posted .. not what you want to think I posted :wallbash:

Oh and btw it shows just how little you know about me, if you think that I only know about and fish for Common skate. I fish for anything that swims, covering Coarse, Game and Sea angling using virtually every method known, it just so happens that I more known for my skate fishing.

Now can we drop this petty rubbish please.. it is getting rather tiresome. :wallbash:

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Hello Davy, you and me would get along a lot better if every time myself or anyone else posts about bass you didnt start taking the opersite stand point.

Others on this forum my be under the impressiopn that you are an authority on the subject of bass when in fact you are not, however you are a authority on fishing in your area and are very well known for your skate angling and concervation knollege.

I apollergise for snapping at you but you do seem to try and bait me, I am going to endervor to get on better with you Davy as my Dad says your a good bloke and know your onions in your own area!

To be honest Im sick and tierd of all the bickering on here and just wont some sensible adult debate.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I do however think any fish caught commercially on rod and line has no place in the angling press or in the Brittish record books. In fact I think it would do a lot for the caurse if it was part of the criteria of the record list for all fish that are to be concidered to be catch and release!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

I do however think any fish caught commercially on rod and line has no place in the angling press or in the Brittish record books. In fact I think it would do a lot for the caurse if it was part of the criteria of the record list for all fish that are to be concidered to be catch and release!

:clap2: A little bit difficult C&R for record fish if they have to be weighed ashore on certified scales, or scales that can later be checked. :clap2:

Toerag

I am going to Alderney early in May and hope to catch a few flatties as we did last year and the year before. They will not all be kept but those that are need to be looked after and preserved so they are suitable for human consumption when we return to the mainland, hence the ice. The ice is even used to preserve our bait fish so none of that goes to waste either. Our party have returned loads of fish including brill, turbot, Pollock(if caught in shallow water) and bass up to 13lb 12oz. So you see not all uk anglers keep everything and certainly all those that I know are very sport and conservation minded.

Martin

visit http://www.pbsbac.co.uk for small boat angling on the south coast

After hearing about the contraversial catches of some very large bass I whent and bough Sea Angler magerzine.

There inside is Richard Seager with a fine brace of masive bass. Also reported is an 18.1lb bass caught by one of his very happy customers.

Now I have a fairly extensive grape vine when it comes to my fishing and acording to my grape vine Richard Seager is not only a good charter skipper but is a lisenced commercial fisherman.

Can anyone verifie this?, also can anyone tell me if the anglers pay Mr Seager for the fishing trips? or more sinisterly does he keep the bass the anglers catch and sell them to earn his money?

If these fish are being sold then I feel quite strongly that Sea Angler and Boat Fishing Monthly should not print these glory photos as a matter of princable.

Asked around today (not the man himself as I don't know him) and a reliable source (someone I trust) tells me that he is most definitely commercially registered. He also sells most or all of the catch that is not wanted by paying anglers and for some reason not returned. I am told that he often takes a group of anglers to fish for the boat where he will take no money from them but will sell all of the catch commercially.

Andy

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

This was exactly what I feared!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.