Richard Seager/ Sea Angler Magazine

sam-cox

I did take a large bass last year as we had people round for dinner that night and I thought bass steaks would be better than what I had planned.

Wrong :rolleyes:

Tough as old boots :angry:

I'd tend to blame your cooking actually ..... ;)

As for big bass being better or worse to eat - it depends on how they're cooked, some restaurants like to serve a whole small bass, others like to serve cutlets of bigger fish. At least with a bigger fish you actually get some meat on it.

Believe me, all the bass being caught by Mr. Seager are being sold (legally). Last year he was cancelling wrecking charters so he could go bassing, this year he hasn't even taken bookings. He will take people out under a '2 fish rule' for nothing if he's bassing. At £4/kilo he's losing money if you get less than 16lb of bass, and that's only 3 or 4 fish when 40 fish per rod per day is common. I strongly suspect the chap with the 18lb'er was not a 'customer' at all.

Has anyone here been on any 3 day+ C.I. trips? What's the deal with the fish you catch on those, because I sure as hell couldn't fit all that fish in my freezer (and I've got 3 freezers!). Given that a portion of fish is 6oz then 50lb of roundfish and 20lb of flatties works out at 40lb of fillets, or 106 portions! I suspect that a lot of fish is sold by anglers on these trips to offset their costs. Can anyone go down to watch the charters offload when they return?

Edited by Toerag

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd tend to blame your cooking actually ..... ;)

As for big bass being better or worse to eat - it depends on how they're cooked, some restaurants like to serve a whole small bass, others like to serve cutlets of bigger fish. At least with a bigger fish you actually get some meat on it.

Believe me, all the bass being caught by Mr. Seager are being sold (legally). Last year he was cancelling wrecking charters so he could go bassing, this year he hasn't even taken bookings. He will take people out under a '2 fish rule' for nothing if he's bassing. At £4/kilo he's losing money if you get less than 16lb of bass, and that's only 3 or 4 fish when 40 fish per rod per day is common. I strongly suspect the chap with the 18lb'er was not a 'customer' at all.

Has anyone here been on any 3 day+ C.I. trips? What's the deal with the fish you catch on those, because I sure as hell couldn't fit all that fish in my freezer (and I've got 3 freezers!). Given that a portion of fish is 6oz then 50lb of roundfish and 20lb of flatties works out at 40lb of fillets, or 106 portions! I suspect that a lot of fish is sold by anglers on these trips to offset their costs. Can anyone go down to watch the charters offload when they return?

Why not put some back instead of taking them all???? Now theres a crazy idea. :rolleyes:

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Most of the English boats have some kind of fish hold or suitable alternative to store the Anglers catch. Watch them all load with fresh ice when they arrive. On a 5 day trip to Alderney last year (only one I've done), I was aware of no-one from any of the English Boats selling their catch - in fact, the skippers are very wary of this! One skipper I was chatting to told me about a B&B he had had a disagreement with was asking anglers from one of his later trips to sell them the Bass they caught. The anglers refused and told the skipper, who was convinced they only asked in order to drop him in it for landing fish without a licence.

Edited by jabee

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Big bass don't taste as good as little bass? That was probably made up by a bass "Sports Angler" so that everyone will chuck them back! So, we should keep the small ones to eat? That's a bit Irish to me....lets take the little ones, the ones that have not yet reached maturity. That'll do alot for the apparently depleted stocks.

Back to the point of this thread, and that is the Sea Angler Magazine printing pictures of large, double figure bass, caught by "Sports Anglers" or "Commercials", but being sold nonetheless; You don't have to buy the mag!! By purchasing the mag, you are supporting it. DOH!!

This threads has been a good-un, its a shame we didnt hear from Mr R, Seager!

Its also a shame that Mr Holt doesnt stick to just talking about common skate, as when he opens his mouth to slag us bass anglers off some fool speeks!

Sam - Davy Holt may be a lot of things but he is not a fool. Your personal insults toward other posters get really tiring so please stop it.

Newt

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

The men in white coats will be along for you shortly :lol: .

If only they would!!

I'm going to Alderney at the end of May, and ain't planning on bring anything back, same goes for all of my trips.

Scotty :thumbs:

Can I keep all your gear then Scotty? :P:lol:

There are some things that are sacred ABM, may god strike you down for being so cheeky. ;):thumbs:

Scotty