Mullet Season 2006

Matt Baldwin

Popped down to Gillingham Pier to greet the incoming tide, mainly for a bike ride.

No lip-marks :(

Water felt very cold when mixing my bread mash :(

Stayed about an hour, no sign of fish, bit cold and breezy so left it for another day.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are lip marks in bradwell marina and there are quite a few to. But I will not bother for a few weeks!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Jim are you sure about the fleet? The only mullet I have caught there are golden greys that average about 3 ozs? Mike Channon tells me there are a few there but I don't think there is many over even 5lb not that Mick has ever had. Kimeridge is the only place better than the harbour around here?

You just carry on believing that, then!

I've caught plenty around the 7lb mark in nets in the Fleet.

The following is copied from another forum.

As fishermen get older and are not as active, they are not so protective of their knowledge and tricks.

On Friday I ran into a chap, now in his mid 60's, whose family has netted more Bass and Mullet in the Fleet than anyone else.

I should have asked him in front of the well known angler who was at the time picking up some pheasants that I owed him but I forgot so I went back to find him on Saturday.

"What were the biggest Bass and Mullet that you ever caught". I asked him.

"The biggest Bass was nearly eight and a half kilos" He said. "The biggest Mullet would have been a bit smaller. Just over seven kilos" He added.

As he quoted kilos and not lbs, I imagine these catches were in recent years.

Are you starting to dribble?

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Not jigged, caught on rag on the bottom though :headhurt:

Tell that to a Portland Dockyard worker!

Are sea fish that are caught in non-public areas, eligible for records?

Had two more mullet since my last post. Really caneing the bread off the top now! Just had nothing bigger than 3lb 10oz yet?

10 Trips and 5 fish now!

Slow down Sean , you'll have 'em spooked as hell before Andy and I get there !

Breamagain . . I'd already "PM'd" Sean with the same comments!

Didn't worry Andrew & Breamagain. Just getting them turned onto the bread nicely for you! By the time you get there they will be taking it out of your hands! There are thousands at the moment! Took another tonight! and hooked up 2 more that got off!

Going to Falmouth Tomorrow so I will have to give them a rest here. Any mullet down in the falmouth estuery!

Still loads of mullet trying to get through the New Bridge sluices into Radipole lake.

As soon as the outflow stops, they disperse into the rest of the harbour until the next tide.