Coming in to land

Guest Jaybee

Guest Jaybee

I think this is my first post here - at the very least it will let Elton know I'm still alive :)

As the arrival of my S3 back from repair centre coincided with the first sunshine we have seen in the NE for the last 100 years (at least) I thought I would take advantage of both events and grab a few shots.

Hope you like this heron shot.

heron11.jpg

Edited by Jaybee

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!!!!

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

There goes the neighborhood. :bleh:

Now this guy (who happens to be one of my birding/wildlife mentors :notworthy:) can take photos!

Welcome to the photography forum Jaybee, although it looks like you've put the mockers on the weather, bloody Jonah. :lol:

Guest Jaybee
Welcome to the photography forum Jaybee, although it looks like you've put the mockers on the weather, bloody Jonah. :lol:

I was all set to toddle off to Cliff top pond (Cliff top as in at the top of the cliffs rather than on top of Cliff :) ) with my hide at 5am ish this morning to try and catch a heron that apparently has visited there all week, but as per normal it's chucking it down.

Edited by Jaybee

I think this is my first post here - at the very least it will let Elton know I'm still alive :)

LOL Thought about you yesterday, actually. My mobile rang and it was an 0191 number. You're the only person I could think of in that area, but it ended up being titan :D

Cracking photo.....but then I wouldn't expect any less from you!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Wow and double wow!

We've had some really great shots on this forum but that's one of the best wildlife photos I've ever seen! Beautifully sharp, well-exposed and a nice composition to boot.

Jaybee, please do tell us more about how you got the shot.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Guest Jaybee
Jaybee, please do tell us more about how you got the shot.

Nothing really special involved Steve.

The shot was taken at a local heronry.

I'd spend a couple of hours at the edge of a reed bed waiting for a heron to land and start stalking - shots of which I only have from severe distance.

Nothing doing, so I simply turned my attention on the herons in the tree tops behind me.

I set up amongst the scrub, dug myself in under my camo netting and just fired off shots as herons flew into tree tops.

This is one shot from a series of 4 as the bird came in to land.

Taken with a tamron 200-500di zoomed to 500 + tamron 1.4 convertor.

ISO 200, 1/1000th at f.6.3 +0.5 compensation

Camera was set to continuous mode.

Picked bird up early and just tracked him in.

Pretty basic really.

You just get lucky sometimes.

Damn fine shot indeed, and so good in fact, that as sponsor of the AnglersNet photo forum, I'm offering you a free mug printed with that image on.

I'm keeping my eye out for special images throughout this forum and will be making suprise 'awards' as the year goes by.

Please email a high res version of the image and your address to the following: sales@theprintbiz.com and we will produce your mug and forward it on :)