Could they be Scallies?

kishkash

Hi all

Just rememberd something i saw last year on a beach near me and i dont know much about it or whether its legal or not.

Low tide Putsborough, calm, just rowing the dinghy ashore after a loverrrly evening fishing. Dragging the boat up the sand i see these two dudes laying out a "long line" baited hooks every 2ft for about 100yds.

Obviously after bass on the incoming.

I said hello and what you up to with little response.

Whats this all about and is it legal? never seen them before and havent seen them since.

iz from North Devon - Prowler 13 - Travel light, keep 'em tight - ooh!

2007 Catches: Sea Trout 3/4 lb,.........

2007 Endeavours: Investigate the estuary

MyFishingKayak.co.uk

Do you know whether they left the line overnight unattended or whether they stayed to look after it? It probably makes a difference as to whether or not it was legal or oherwise;also, was the presence of the line marked in any way by floats or buoys? If it was attended, I suspect it is legal (as I am unaware of any law that restricts the number of hooks you can have on your line), but if unattended and unmarked I suspect that it was not. The logic being that such a line would be a potential hazard to anyone in the water unless it was being looked after or its presence was identified and there are most certainly laws against setting traps for people. However, the truth is this aint my area of law and it remains possible that even if it was marked that it would be illegal if it was unattended. Presumably this thing was being laid out between the low and high tide marks and not below the low water mark?

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

I have just spoken to the NFSA and unless there is a local bylaw it's legal, :angry:

he went on to say if it was at the mouth of a river and they were after

salmon or trout that's a different matter as they would fall foul of the law on migratory fish

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Hi all

Just rememberd something i saw last year on a beach near me and i dont know much about it or whether its legal or not.

Low tide Putsborough, calm, just rowing the dinghy ashore after a loverrrly evening fishing. Dragging the boat up the sand i see these two dudes laying out a "long line" baited hooks every 2ft for about 100yds.

Obviously after bass on the incoming.

I said hello and what you up to with little response.

Whats this all about and is it legal? never seen them before and havent seen them since.

I'm sure I remember seeing Ray Mears extolling the virtues of this technique on one of his Bushtucker programmes once, but I think he was after flatties.

Hi Kishkash I saw the Ray Mears programme that you refer to --what I want to know is how do they put back the undersize ones alive once they're long dead?He layed the line out overnight--------------scallies definately

Edited by richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

I'm sure I remember seeing Ray Mears extolling the virtues of this technique on one of his Bushtucker programmes once, but I think he was after flatties.

Hi paintfly,

On the ray mears programme he was showing how early hooks were made,in this instance using hawthorns!!and he released the flounders he caught,

Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Kishkash - you seem to be a conservation minded fellow. Have you ever thought of joining BASS - the bass Anglers' Sportfishign Society?

You would be very welcome. Details from:

www.ukbass.com

Is it OK to put that up Elton? Ta!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo