Reels

jimpy0

I used to love my Mitchel 300 reels, but as I did an awful lot of spinning they would soon wear out the soft metal where the handle shaft went in the body.

My Dad used to bore this out and fit a S/S bush. Kept them going until I upgraded to Shimanos and when I moved house I binned the lot...about 9 reels and maybe 10 spare spools.

On the subject of rarity, did anyone else ever have a "Sportex" rear drag reel back in early 1960's? Or even the late 1950's?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Not heard of them Den (a bit before my time!) goes to show that nothings new though!

Den did you ever convert your 300's with a double bail arm spring? this was another common conversion with carp and pike anglers in the days of open bail arm tactics.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I still have and now rarely use my 300's. I won't part with them as they are excellent tools, but, as other's report the drag is suspect and I now prefer rear drag reels rather than back winding.

The 300's now come out only for plugging and sea float fishing.

Many of "my" vintage will have progressed from Intrepids ( Black Prince ) etc onto Mitchell 324's then the 300's and 410's.

Now if Mitchell were to produce a 300 with a good rear drag?

Shimano do produce some good reels, but many of them now come tarted up with chrome and gold. Just what you need flashing about while stalking Chub! . . But then they do the job . . catching the angler !!

What next Chrome rods??

Edited by Andrew Boyd

Andrew Boyd

For me one of the greatest tackle mysteries of the last few decades is why Mitchell reels went down hill after Garcia split from them and ABU tackle in general lost its quality of build when Garcia joined them?

Both firms are a shadow of what they used to be in the 70's.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

surely the mitchell and abu garaunteed for life warrenty still exists??? mind you i couldnt produce the warrenty card or even the invoice for any of the ones i'v had from new :(

i wonder how it would stand in court

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

For me one of the greatest tackle mysteries of the last few decades is why Mitchell reels went down hill after Garcia split from them and ABU tackle in general lost its quality of build when Garcia joined them?

Both firms are a shadow of what they used to be in the 70's.

And both companies are now owned by the same American company, Pure Fishing. Coincidence?

Pure fishing also owns Fenwick & Berkley.

Fenwick makes some more than decent fly rods compared to anyone and some of the best value for money lure rods out there with their HMG & Techna AV series.

Edited by Vidar6