Level Wind

Elton

I use 2 7000 abu's both with level winds which i use for the cod fishing in the rough grounds up her in the NE scotland where to be frank 50-70 yards are more than enough and quite often 20-30 yards are enough. The level wind means you can just wind and forget about everything else, when your fishing in the real rough stuff you need to forget pump and wind and just wind, plays havoc with the spindals but that why you buy a quality reel.

I also have 2 6500 abus without level winds for fishing the cleaner beaches or when distance is required. Its all avout matching gear for the venue/species I mean i wouldnt use the nemesis, 7000 abu and 35lb line for flatties nor would I use a carp rod to catch rough ground cod.

Matt

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awful things, level winds. They work by the spool driving a cog. Therefore, distance is greatly reduced. I'd say by a good third.

Good point raised about the lack of grip due to the cross bar. Also if you lose the end of your line through the level wind after packing your gear away, it inevatable the line (when threaded back through for the next use) will not come off the spool in line with the level wind! Big probs then!

I would advise to get a reel without one and just learn to lay the line with your thumb.

Another factor against level winds is, it is another thing that can go wrong. I nearly killed myself once when a level wind decided to blow up on a cast.

It took me about three trips to forget I didn't have a level wind on once I moved over to non-level winds.

I was out in a boat last summer and had to reel in for someone and I really struggled to cope with having a level wind on.

Bob

There is absolutely no place for level winds in shore fishing as far as I am concerned - they are awful things, SERIOUSLY reduce distance (a cast that would go about 100 yards for an AVERAGE angler would only go 60-65.... go on a field and try it yourself instead of speculating.

The left hand that holds the rod naturally levels out the line by thumbing it on the retrieve - it is not something that reduces your ability to haul your rig in through kelp, it doesnt affect your ability to 'concentrate' on fishing! Boat fishing hugely benefits from levelwinds but not shore, nay I tell you!

I even gave up om them for boat fishing.

I used to regularly take my Slosh on the boat and got so confused between it and the level winds. I needed new boat reels anyway so went for leverdrags without level wind.

Just don't notice that I am thumbing the line except on my very large boat reel.

Bob

Looks like a 'new' pair of old Mitchell 602AP's are on the cards, then. Never missed a levelwind back in those days :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Level winds have thier place in life the same as any other bit of tackle, from a boat wrecking then i use a Abu 7000 & 9000 both with level wind, from the beach I use Abu 6500's I also hhave a 7000 that has been converted (Properly) as well as a 6500 with 7000 gearing for rough ground.

The biggest problem with level winds is the leader knot, unless you get it small enough then this can catch and cause you to loose distance, but as said in earlier post, bait can drop 30 - 50yds from your cast, so make sure you use clip down rigs.

A handy hint for those using a level wind is to make sure that a clip or swivel is used to ensure that the line stays in the correct position for the next time you use it, we have lots of Abu 7000's and 6500's in that all require new level winds, and the main reason is that the line is feeding off the reel incorrectly (ie levelwind to the right but line feeding from the left) , this causes alot of stress on the level wind gearing etc and causes it to wear alot faster.

For those wanting a larger reel for such as the Abu 7000 for rough ground or heavy work, but dont want the level wind on, then you can get it converted, but i do advise that if the reel is new then you get it done properly in order to stay within warranty, again we see reels come in for repair that have had a conversion done but instead of either removing the bar it is just cut away, or the bar has been removed but the gearing is still working and the holes left from the bar removel are plugged with silocone or plastic plugs instead of stainless studs.

Looks like a 'new' pair of old Mitchell 602AP's are on the cards, then. Never missed a levelwind back in those days :)

Don't do it!!!! :headhurt: I got all nostalgic once and got my old Mitchell 602P out, cleaned it all up and got it all lovely again. I used it once and wondered how we ever used to fish with such horrible things! Don't get me wrong, the old Mitchells were wonderful pieces of engineering, bless 'em, but not a patch on todays reels to use.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.