Google Earth again

Huge_Vitae

I know it's been mentioned before but I LOVE this programme.

The Good Old Isle of Wight is the first County in UK to be fully covered at highest resolution. You can just make out my Labrador in my garden :blink:

Only pity is the offshore areas are still too low too see where the charter boats are fishing but you get a good idea :fish::boat:

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's been mentioned before but I LOVE this programme.

Me too! Here is my house which is shown by the marker. You can't see my dog, but you can see my white 4 x 4 on the drive and if I go in closer I can see my garden fence!

googlehome6lc.jpg

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Anyone know how often the images or anything else gets updated?

If you pay for the other versions, do you get better detail?

Thanks in advance,

Colin

As I live in a rural area it's easy for me to get an idea on when the pictures were taken, my area hasn't been updated since it first went to high res. It is their intention to increase the resolution of other area. I presume that once thats done they will go over and replace images.

I don't think you get any better detail unless you pay a LOT more money, I am not sure how much the CIA's version would be though :rolleyes:

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

A couple of times I've used maps of Melbourne to try to locate where I lived there (having forgotten the address), but without success.

But it's been easy to find my way back from where I worked, to where I lived, and where I used to go for walks etc.

Then back to the places I fished as a kid, tracing my journey down lanes and alleys.

It's a shame that when you increase the angle, so that it almost looks as you are driving along a road, that the speed at which you move is so slow. I thought I might take a tour around the M25, but it became tedious!

Funnily enough my car can be seen parked in a couple of places that I visit!

It's weird to visit New Orleans, and roam around the streets full of everyday life, cars parked in the drive, neat gardens etc, before the hurricane that was to take it all away :(

Wouldn't it be interesting if it was in real time!

What would be useful would be to be able to capture a refence to a particular view and be able to post it/email it to share it with others. ('ve tried lat and longditude, but it's hard to navigate to the precise spot at the correct elevation).

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Wouldn't it be interesting if it was in real time!

Some day, perhaps, it will be. Could have a few privacy implications, though, keeping swims secret might be a thing of the past!

Some day, perhaps, it will be. Could have a few privacy implications, though, keeping swims secret might be a thing of the past!

If cars were made to have number plates on their roofs, it would save a lot of the earth's fuel.

The number of vehicles that always seem to behind certain angler's cars as they negotiate the country lanes at dawn has to be more than a co-incidence.

Mind you, would there be the same excitment, following someone to their swim from a computer screen?

In fact it could all be done by bots, logging the destination gps co-ordinates while you stay in bed for a lie in!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

What would be useful would be to be able to capture a refence to a particular view and be able to post it/email it to share it with others. ('ve tried lat and longditude, but it's hard to navigate to the precise spot at the correct elevation).

Hi Mate, you can e-mail the view you have on your screen if you so wish. You just go to file and the prompt is in there.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.