O.U. too P.C.

Sportsman

My daughter has just enrolled on an Open University course and received her first batch of course work today. Unfortunately the CD supplied will only load / run on Windows and my daughter (like any right minded individual) has an Apple Mackintosh. The OU say they do not and will not supply anything for computers other than PC with Windows and will offer no help or assistance for mac users.

My daughter has paid for a course (several hundred pounds) and has been provided with material she can not use without paying for expensive emulation software :(

In the days of inclusiveness it obviously doesnt extend to mac users or anyone who doesn't use windows :schmoll:

Anyone had similar problems and if so what did you do.

Maybe this should be on the technical help forum but I wanted to have a rant anyway :wallbash:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

My daughter has just enrolled on an Open University course and received her first batch of course work today. Unfortunately the CD supplied will only load / run on Windows and my daughter (like any right minded individual) has an Apple Mackintosh. The OU say they do not and will not supply anything for computers other than PC with Windows and will offer no help or assistance for mac users.

My daughter has paid for a course (several hundred pounds) and has been provided with material she can not use without paying for expensive emulation software :(

In the days of inclusiveness it obviously doesnt extend to mac users or anyone who doesn't use windows :schmoll:

Anyone had similar problems and if so what did you do.

Maybe this should be on the technical help forum but I wanted to have a rant anyway :wallbash:

i believe you can get mac emulation software to run mac progs on a pc will have a scout round see what i can find

http://www.emulators.com/

put mac emulators into google this is the first that came up hundreds more avail

Edited by jimpy0

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

i believe you can get mac emulation software to run mac progs on a pc will have a scout round see what i can find

eerr... I think Sportsman needs a Windows emulation programme to run on a Mac. I assumed most scots would be running Macs anyway Dave :lol:

i suspect that you'll have to buy a copy of Windows whatever the solution.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I'm no expert either but just happened to be reading this which may be of use.....

Paul

I have the same problem. The number of companies and service providers that refuse point blank to rewrite all of there products for my BBC micro and supply them on 7" floppies is a damed disgrace !!!!

Surely, you knew that loosing all of the compatability that PC users take for granted was the trade off you were taking when you brought an Apple in the same way that you must have known that upgrading of an existing machine instead of wholesale replacement every three years wasn't for you..

Come to think of it, exactly why would any right minded person buy a Macc ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

No sooner do I post this than I turn to the BBC site and find this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4880022.stm

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Couple of things;

Sportsman, what exactly is on the CD? Can you browse it and see the content?

Ken, I'm a PC/Windows person myself, but my father-in-law is a Mac-head. I'm not going over to the Dark Side, but they are very impressive machines, and very slick to look at; I'd gladly have an iMac in my living room. For someone not techically savvy enough to go the Linux route but who wants to give Bill Gates one in the eye by giving their money to some other megalomaniac zillionaire, they make sense.