Dace or Chub

Norfolkdan

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger
I think that's a Roach. It's a bit too orangey in the fins and eyes.....no?

I' d say it's eyes are yellow. :blink:

So it must be a Dace.

Tigger.

I' d say it's eyes are yellow. :blink:

So it must be a Dace.

Tigger.

Personally I've never caught a dace in a stillwater or canal, but I suppose it's possible ;)

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Personally I've never caught a dace in a stillwater or canal, but I suppose it's possible ;)

There are Dace in Loch Lomond and the Forth and Clyde canal. Big 'uns too.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Guest tigger

I along with many others used to catch them in a large pond/ small lake many years ago.

As you say there more a river fish (or seem to be) and I have caught quite a few in the river Ribble.

Tigger.

Hmmm, I think I'd have to plump for a juvenile slimline Roach.

Body colour is very Roachy, & I've caught many a Roach with very pale eyes with lacklustre colour to the fins.

Got to agree with Gozzer on the two strains of Roach. Years ago the river Tees had fantastic deep bodied, high backed fish with superb fin colouring & lovely red eyes. After a terrible pollution they were almost wiped out & restocking took place. A lot of the local stillwater & river Roach now are like a different species, very much like the photo, I'm quite convinced about the two strains.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Guest Ferret1959

Roach, not chub for definate, too red on the fins for a little un plus the fin shape.

Dace are more silvery in the fins to me so I'm sure it's a roach.

Roach.jpg

Hevingham5.jpg

Edited by Ferret1959