Stronsay trip July 2006

Guest NickInTheNorth

Paul, I'm sorry that Victoria (send her who must be obeyed big hugs BTW) has insisted you come up here for the good of your health instead of doing the general gardening in leafy Greenford :)

Dates - I've not got a Scoobie, but for method - We can look at a van for a pickup from Inverness plus return if that helps - as long as I don't get toooo c*nted the night b4 :)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to admit I am not into planning to early.

It's Nick in the North who's doing the planning, I am just looking forwards to seeing you all. I think Nick's idea was it was too late in the year to do anything this summer so by setting a date for next year people can book time off work etc if needed. It doesn't really matter at this end but early to mid July will give you all maximum daylight for fishing.

As stated there is a Hostel (Run by Clive) that can sleep 12 and this will need booking nearer the time. For any of you needing more comfort the Hotel will need a bit more advanced booking so I would recommend Jan/Feb next year should be OK. We also have a camping bothy, If anyone can't get booked in we will make sure no one has to sleep under the stars.

Bob

Bob?

Us soft southerners are apt to book up a year in advance!! I think you`ll find the hotel fully booked within days of a firm date being set.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

SandTiger:

Paul, I'm sorry that Victoria (send her who must be obeyed big hugs BTW) has insisted you come up here for the good of your health instead of doing the general gardening in leafy Greenford :)

Dates - I've not got a Scoobie, but for method - We can look at a van for a pickup from Inverness plus return if that helps - as long as I don't get toooo c*nted the night b4 :)

:cool: I'm up for it but I'll need a driver, tackle carrier and bait catcher, I'll carry the camera. So we fly to Scotland and travel by road and ferry from there, is that correct? :D

I get the impression you are travelling from all over the UK.

What I would suggest is, small groups travelling from similar areas work together within an overall plan.

I find the best way to sort out the travel arrangements to Stronsay is to work backwards.

For example if you all wanted to be on Stronsay at 6pm on a Thursday then its no good arriving on the Orkney mainland at 4.15 PM has the last boat would have left. (If you want to get here at 7pm, you still need to get at 6pm and then hang around the Pier until 7pm)

So if we use Thursday has an example. The boat leaves Kirkwall at 4pm so you need to be on the Orkney mainland by 3pm. If you were all making your way via Scrabster then the 12 noon boat is OK as there is a bus that connects the two ferries (Or hire a mini bus).

This means that you would all need to be in Scrabster by 11am on the Thursday morning.

If you were travelling by Train then you would need to set off from London at 8am Wednesday morning and stay at the Youth Hostel in Thurso (Or with the T's if they have room)

PLEASE NOTE: The Stronsay ferry sails at slightly different times on different days but they normally connect as long as the Scrabster ferry is on time.

Some of you will be travelling to Scrabster early for a stopover with the T's (Tiggs, Tuggs and Thurso Angler).

Some of you will drive to Scrabster from various parts of England and Scotland (Picking up any friends along the way).

I believe Tiggs mentioned the possibility of meeting some of you at Inverness airport if you choose to fly.

The best thing we can do is actually set the date and amount of days you will want/need to be on Stronsay and then people can book if needed.

The Hotel is a bit pricey and only limited capacity (Two rooms) but they do good food. The Hostel is cheaper and as long as you don't mind sharing rooms can sleep 12 and do meals (Plus it is only across the road from the pub/hotel). The camping bothy is FREE and you can cook but it's up the other end of the island (There is a couple of mini buses on the island if we need to move you about in groups). There are also a few B&B's around the village and a few others dotted about.

As stated anyone who makes the trip and can't book will be put up somewhere on a B&B basis.

So, set a date and I can work out some of the travel logistics for you.

I can do some of the provisional bookings and if any of you have any questions you can call me on 01857 616353 (Unless I am out fishing).

As soon as a date is set I will set up a dedicated web page with other contacts and as much information as I can think of.

Bob

Guest NickInTheNorth

So come on guys, anyone have anything to say on definite dates?

I've made some suggestions, just waiting for a bit of feedback on what you all want to do?

Guest NickInTheNorth

The idea of looking so far ahead was to allow folks that needed or wanted to be able to book holiday rather than just relying on bank holiday. (can't think off hand of any holiday that fits into the rough time frame Bob suggested)

But I don't mind, I'll fit in with what the majority want to do.