LARGE HERRING SHOALS APPEAR EARLY OFF WHITBY ACCOMPANIED BY PILOT WHALES

big_cod

Guest binatone
% wise I don't know though it would be insignificant as they would all go (did go) when their feed went. My sandeel analogy is that I believe N Sea stocks are low in part to low food sources, not overfishing for human consumption in isolation as many on here would believe. Thing is Binatone, I'm an angler with significant support for the commercial fleet.

I am not disputing anything with you and agree on your sandell theory. Just wondered why they seamed to of vanished and wondered how many of them there where when they where catching them on rod and line?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest binatone
http://www.tunacharters.ie/

Not so far away!

Dan

Thanks for that Dan. Some input from the Irish is what’s needed here. Wonder if they have historically caught Tunney of Ireland?

There is certainly as much concentration of commercial herring fishing in the Irish Sea as there is in the North Sea today.

Wonder if any (Tunney) have been spotted in the North Sea in the last few years? I have certainly never seen one or heard of one being caught. Wonder if they are ever fished for with rod and line in the North Sea anymore?

The thing about this historical over fishing of the silver darlings is it was all done with the blessing of several consecutive UK governments.

This was simply a matter of providing the nation with a good healthy protine rich food source at a very low cost.

Very much the same as farmers were helped and encouraged to grow food

The big problem was they never brought it under control by restriction, but by bringing in a total ban and throwing the whole fishing and infrastructure into chaos

WHITEHALL / BRUSSELS same dog with more spots :yucky:

Guest binatone
The thing about this historical over fishing of the silver darlings is it was all done with the blessing of several consecutive UK governments.

This was simply a matter of providing the nation with a good healthy protine rich food source at a very low cost.

Very much the same as farmers were helped and encouraged to grow food

The big problem was they never brought it under control by restriction, but by bringing in a total ban and throwing the whole fishing and infrastructure into chaos

WHITEHALL / BRUSSELS same dog with more spots :yucky:

To hell with the politics slack line, try this in large amounts and I will guarantee you will forget about anything historical for at least it takes you the time to eat it.

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Fish%20and%20S...h____25mins.htm

I am not disputing anything with you and agree on your sandell theory. Just wondered why they seamed to of vanished and wondered how many of them there where when they where catching them on rod and line?

Aug 1930 was when the first tunny was caught in the North Sea and weighed in at Scarborough (560 lbs) and 3 other fish were caught that year. There was nothing for the next two years and then in the years leading up to the outbreak of WW2 there were on average 30 fish caught per year. Following WW2 the tallys were 1946 (9) 1947 (7) 1948 (6) 1949 (45) there was little tunny fishing then done until 1954 (9) - none caught after that.

Pashby out of Scarborough and Bailey out of Whitby were the most sucessful skippers and Weatherley the most consistent angler, though of course, Mitchell-Henry took the record.

At the same time the continental fleet took some 5000 tunny from the North Sea mainly to Italy and the Norwegian fleet took 900 tons. In 1959 the Danish fleet took 8000 fish at an average of 250kgs.

Does any one know what the North sea tempreature was during the 1920 and 30's.

I have a feeling that herring seem to favour warmer temps, sand eels favour colder water.

I think it is only a matter of time before tunny show up in the North sea, if they are not already there.

I fish to live and live to fish.

To hell with the politics slack line, try this in large amounts and I will guarantee you will forget about anything historical for at least it takes you the time to eat it.

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Fish%20and%20S...h____25mins.htm

Aye binetone but where do you get 4 fresh penny herrings now that the fleet have no quota for them? Norway, Iceland