Welcome home Ian Burrett

Snatcher

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian,

I am NOT in the least bit JEALOUS :P NOT MUCH :)

Even allowing for the weather it seems like you had a smashing trip and thanks for taking the time and effort to post the pics and report, what a way to brighten up a lousy Winter :cool:

Each to there own but for me the Amberjack, Barracuda, Spanish and King Mackerel would have been plenty enough :cool:

If you have any pictures of the local atmosphere ie bar, quay, boats and just having a laugh I for one would very much appreciate sharing them with you.

Thanks again Ian.

Happy Dude, nice to see you in action again.

Cheers.

Alan :cool:

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Yakity - Yak:

Ian,

Marathon key.....did you go into the Brass Monkeys bar??

Hi Yakity yak

We did indeed get drunk in the Brass monkey bar on a few occasions. Amazed me that the Beatles are still so popular over there. Even found they sell Newcastle Brown on last night in there.

Overall lasting memory of the trip was how friendly the Americans were. From the millionaires with their 40 ft gin palaces to the working lads; they all had time for for a natter.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

quote:

I have forgotten the name but its where they hand feed the 150 lb wild Tarpon
Ian, it's the jetty near Robbies - luckily I went fishing first - good fun getting dragged about in a skiff with a 80lb Tarpon.

I think if I had fed them first it would have been like fishing at "Deep Sea World" :D

Bahia Honda(sp?) is quite good for Tarpon on live mullet, but there are lots of sharks their, I had a 60lb tarpon bitten in 2 by a hammerhead, awesome. March is good for tarpon in Key West harbour on light tackle. You chum them and drift a small dead fish back and feel for the gentle take, strike and hold on!! If I could only fish one final day it would be there. One day we had 3 tarpon over 120Lb and another of about 70lb. In March (when we had our special day)the numbers are not high but the size is good.

Pelyma:

Bahia Honda(sp?) is quite good for Tarpon on live mullet, but there are lots of sharks their, I had a 60lb tarpon bitten in 2 by a hammerhead, awesome. March is good for tarpon in Key West harbour on light tackle. You chum them and drift a small dead fish back and feel for the gentle take, strike and hold on!!        If I could only fish one final day it would be there. One day we had 3 tarpon over 120Lb and another of about 70lb. In March (when we had our special day)the numbers are not high but the size is good.

Hi Pelyma

Thanks for that. The Tarpon is one of two fish I have set my mind on. The neighbour at the house we were staying at had one on briefly from the canal at the end of the back garden. One quick flash and it was all over.

I guess all the key marks can and will produce on the day, I suspect having settled weather is the key (no pun intended)

[ 15. March 2005, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Ian Burrett ]

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

That looks a really tasty venue - now that I have had a tarpon on fly, I would really like to get to grips with a seriously big (triple digit)tarpon on appropriate gear.

Looks like Florida is on my visiting list.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

we sailed under the bridge at bahia honda but didn't fish because there was no tide run, big signs all over it for "beware of falling debris", the old rail bridge is falling to bits as you watch it.

if they blew it up into the water it would make a hell of a reef, too bad the water is only 10 feet deep though

what did you get from the shore there n4lly??

whats the access like??

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif