Smartcast fishfinders

Comus

Hi All,

I want to get myself a reasonable quality fishfinder for fishing lakes and pits.

I've seen the Hummingbird Smartcast and was impressed but does anyone know of a similar product at a kinder price?

Comus :)

AFAIK, there is not a similar product available at any price.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

First of all, forget using a fishfinder to find fish. Use a fishfinder to locate shelves, drop-offs, sunken boats, features etc. A fishfinder will often show debris etc. as fish and the feature cannot be relied upon. As for cheaper versions....well....

....You can check depths, drag the bottom to feel what the terrain is like and setup a marker float with one simple rig. I like to use a soft carp rod and a fixed spool, loaded with 15lb mono. Set the rod up and then:

Slide a rubber bead up the line, followed by a 3 oz weight, another bead and then tie a marker float or a pike waggler onto the end.

bits.giffloat.gif

You cast the rig out, making sure the float is tight against the weight. Now bump the weight along the bottom and try to visualise what the terrain looks like. You should be able to feel gravel, weeds, shelves, silty patches etc. as you slowly wind the rig in.

Once you have found a suitable target area, point the rod at the rig, open the bail-arm and slowly pay out line, a foot at a time. When the float appears on the surface, you should now know:

A: What the bottom is composed of and it's shape.

B: The depth.

C: The spot you're aiming for.

It can be handy to make a map of the water and spend a day or two doing nothing else but checking swims, depths, snags, features etc. Just fill in the map as you go along. If you spend a day on the water, at the start of the season, you can spend the rest of the season fishing productive swims, instead of blindly casting and hoping for the best.

Seriously, this is a very simple setup and it's easy to use. You'll be amazed at what you've learned about the water, in a short space of time.

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Hi Comus, I bought my smartcast off Ebay for less than £100 but it came from the states and worked on a different frequency which I think maybe illegal in this country. They have a very short range so I am not sure if they would cause any problems.

I have to agree with Andy and Boozlebear, good for feature finding, rubbish for fish finding.

Andy

I like to use a soft carp rod and a fixed spool, loaded with 15lb mono.

I've heard it suggested that braid gives you a more accurate "feel" than mono, due to the lack of stretch?

Couple of good articles on this site about feature finding spring to mind:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Carp-Fishing-A...re_finding.html

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Carp-Fishing-A...ding_setup.html

Also, for those who haven;t seen a Smartcast, this review:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Tackle-And-Bai.../smartcast.html

I haven't seen any similar models on the market.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I have one, purchased from the States for $85 I believe.

Nothing is as quick as the Hummingbird for finding features. It does find fish as well but depth and feature finding are it's greatest merits.

Wouldn't be without mine now on new swims or waters.

Hi Comus, I bought my smartcast off Ebay for less than £100 but it came from the states and worked on a different frequency which I think maybe illegal in this country. They have a very short range so I am not sure if they would cause any problems.

I have to agree with Andy and Boozlebear, good for feature finding, rubbish for fish finding.

Andy

I also have the american smartcast with the green unit,,,,,,i spoke to a mate who works for the dti and he said as its a very limited range (75ft) it won't be a problem unless you're fishing on an airport , military base or somewhere likely to be using that frequency LOL.

Oh i brought mine brand new and it cost around £50 including P&P from the states.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them