Centrepin reel.

Guest tigger

I have a Youngs Purist, an Adcock Stanton, an Osprey and an Aventa Pro. I have had a Grice & Young Avon, a Speedia, a Lewtham Engineering jobby, an Allcock Match and an Allcock Aerialite. The Aventa wins hands down, the Adcock a tad behind because I hate the handles on it!

Edited by Peter Waller

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand this "it spins for ever" thing. I've used centre pins most of my life, and found that the ones that spin forever are the ones most likely to cause birds nests.

Totally agree with that...I think I've now got five or six different pins and my Arnold Kingpin spins 'forever' as the ubiquitous saying goes....it's a pain. The one I really don't like using though is the Youngs Rapidex II. I hate the thing with a passion.

Paul

I'm really not sure how you can get a birdsnest on a pin with about 50 yds of line and blame it on the pin. OK 'spins forever' may be a bit emotive, but its just indicative of how smooth a beast yer reel is. The Aventa is very smooth and just like many other reels that cost a kings ransom more, it allows line to slip off under very little pull from the current....which for me is the general idea. True it wasn't hand made by an itinerant craftsman who's name has now passed into legend as though he'd discovered penicillin and true it works better without the those dreadful handles :) ..but I can live with all of that if it does the job that I bought it for.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Hi all,

After reading so much about center pins in magazines and here on AN, last year I bought myself a Match Aerial. Now being brought up on fixed spool reels I thought this was going to be a walk in the park, how wrong I was. The first time I used it was for barbel and got the fright of my life when the ratchet started screaming as my first barbel on a pin tore off down stream. Later that same evening same thing happened but this time it took the skin off my knuckles as I attempted to slow it down, I then got snapped up when I finally got hold of it. Since then I’ve used it a few more times on the river catching some nice chub but am far from confident using it and still use my fixed spool for most of my fishing. I just need a bit more practice. So if there is anyone out there could spare 5 mins to help a pin novice at the Wingham fish-in I would be grateful for any advice.

Andy.

Centrepins?

Strictly 666 Stuff (check mine out, behind my left ear).

Send those that don't work for you to me (regular Angling Times series, "No Trade" etc).

I'll make the majority of them work, fishing-wise (precious few can, now).

Those that don't, however...

Well, I know a scrapyard (or, better still, a "respected" Auction House)...

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

When I quite recently sold off my prized centrepins (an origonal Match Areial,Adcock Stanton and Dave Swallow) I was truely gutted.First time in my life that Ive ever had to do anything so drastic.Do you know what at the time it hurt me more to sell these than when Ive lost or had tackle stolen in the past!

I kept my old Leeds as it was worth the least and this was purely a cash raising operation.The Mrs realised the sacrifice I had made and kindly sugested to ease the loss I brought myself an Aventa.Never got round to it and the cash disapeared as it does!

However the point of this sorry tale is that I still trot just as well and catch as many fish with the Leeds as I ever did the others.In fact in a way more ie I would never use any of my "good" pins in salt water but had no qualms using the Leeds.

A "quality" pin is a great piece of equipment,you can get a great deal of pleasure out of just handling them yet alone fishing with them! but £200+ no! Them Okumas are fine at £80 and the Leeds just as useable at some what less.

If I had to say which of mine was the best I think it would have to be the Areial in first place,followed by the Adcock Stanton with the Dave Swallow comming last but possibley being the most versatile.

Just as a thought Ive done some daft stuff with the Cats (fly,lure etc) but if I ever get to Spain again I might load up the Leeds with some .40mm braid and go for it! Er might have to put some handles back on it for that though :g::unsure:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Send those that don't work for you to me (regular Angling Times series, "No Trade" etc).

I'll make the majority of them work, fishing-wise (precious few can, now).

They all 'work' for me, it's just aesthetics. I've come to realise that I don't like narrow version of centrepins and the Rapidex happens to be one, but it's biggest downfall to my useability is the 'closed cage' design.....I can't stick my fingers in it. I have a 60's Match Aerial and it is a lovely reel (although I must get it sent off to Mill Tackle Co. for an overhaul) which is a narrow version too....but it's so, so much nicer to use for me simply due to the spoked design.

Paul

OI OI,

so i need info on prices cant afford a lot but have been going to get one for years j.wilson makes it look easy but jigotai has had problem's so it can't be easy, can anybody recommend a cheapish pin for a novice.

:):):)

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

Living in the land of the Chavs (Chatham), it's the Okuma for me, perfectly OK for the price and better than most of the expensive alternatives.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.