size of float with a centrepin

The Flying Tench

What size float is needed to pull line off a centrepin? I was fishing today with a 2AA float, and it wasn't enough. Part of the problem was that maggot-maize had got in the works and slowed the pin a little, but it occurred to me I ought to have a clearer idea of the size of float to use. I'm only an occasional pin user.

john clarke

Depends on the river, and I do tend to use a bigger float with the pin than the closed face, but a 3 or 4 No4 should work in the right conditions. You can always thumb the spool?

I tend to choose according to flow ,if its slow then I prefer a fatter float (more surface area to catch the flow) now this can be a big chubber or avon /fluted float or smaller versions if its a shallower river (smaller) and thinner bodied floats for faster waters unless I want to hold back hard then its a shoulded /rounder topped float .the distance I intend to fish from the bank (casting distance) & if I need to fish close too the bottom dictate how heavy it'll be .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

What size float is needed to pull line off a centrepin? I was fishing today with a 2AA float, and it wasn't enough. Part of the problem was that maggot-maize had got in the works and slowed the pin a little, but it occurred to me I ought to have a clearer idea of the size of float to use. I'm only an occasional pin user.

Dunk the rod and reel in the river.....but remember to keep hold of it :D

That's what I do (by accident too) but I'm always careful to dry and re-lube the pin and hub bush before using it again. I wouldn't dunk a reel fitted with ballraces though, the water will get in and before you know it you'll have rusty balls.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I have done that when i've fell in the river !!...not something i'd do purposely.

I'd rather just wipe it off with a cloth or tissue.

I have a towel hanging from my belt so keep my hands clean, I hate having dirty hands when i'm fishing.