Wingham Fish-In - Saturday June 11th to Monday June 13th

Steve Burke

I've been asked to post the proposed dates well in advance so that members can make plans. Unless we have a major weed problem early season, Wingham Fish-Ins will always in future be the weekend of the second Sunday in June. That makes this year's dates June 11/12/13th. The only exception will be 2006 to fit in with Newt's holiday plans.

I know many of you have expressed an interest in coming to Wingham after the recent near-record bream at 17-14 (at less than 12 years old!). This fish will almost certainly be over the record by the time of the Fish-In. You can read more details about this at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb...t=012829#000000

At previous events we've also had specimen tench and perch. The fish are still growing and there's the prospect of 10lb+ tench and 4lb+ perch.

You can click on the link on my signature at the bottom of this post to see how things have gone since then, and also more about the complex.

Who can come? Anyone who's reading this! However, although the venue is 40 acres, places will be limited. If necessary priority will be given to those who haven't been before. Otherwise it'll be first come, first served.

What's the cost? Nothing! It's both a thank you to Elton for hosting the Wingham web site, and also a chance to meet friends from the Forum.

Where is Wingham? On a nature reserve in the middle of nowhere near Canterbury, Kent. The loudest noise is normally birdsong! Detailed directions will be sent to those attending.

When is the venue open? I've experimented with 1, 2 & 3 day fish-ins before at Wingham. This year will be a 3 day event with the fishery open from 9am Saturday to 3pm Monday. You're welcome to fish overnight.

Which lake can I fish? The Coarse Lake only, which is 40 acres and contains most species.

Can I bivvy up? Yes. You can also sleep in the clubhouse which has toilets, a kitchen and a shower. Alternatively you can kip in the car park. Accomodation can also be arranged nearby.

What restrictions are there? No keepnets or nuts are permitted, neither are lures nor fishbaits. Also no barbless hooks above size 10 are allowed. Please use barbed, preferably micro-barbed hooks. 3 rods are permitted. Full rules will be sent nearer the time.

What tackle should I bring? The venue is very little fished and therefore the fish aren't tackle shy. Weed is likely to be growing fast (although there was none last year) and with the very high average weights a minimum of 5lb line and preferably stronger is recommended. If fishing boilies please use line with a minimum diameter of .34mm (12 to 15lb depending on the make/type) as you may hook a monster carp!

What baits would you recommend? All common baits catch such as worm, maggots and corn, but remember the lake is very little fished and so unusual baits are not likely to work so well without pre-baiting. Above all, do make sure you have worms, preferably lobs. I can order lobs, dendras or redworms for you from the local shop if given advance notice (the Tuesday before the event at the very latest). The cost is only £5 per quarter kilo.

What are the best tactics? The most important requirement is to keep quiet and still as, although the fish aren't tackle or bait shy, they are very easily spooked due to the lack of fishing pressure. The fish have definite patrol routes and, with the huge amount of natural food (Wingham's the only water I know where your feeders come back covered not only with snails but snail's eggs, whilst Gaffer reckons any weed you retrieve crawls back in!) the fish aren't likely to move off these routes. So the best advice I can give you is to thoroughly plumb the swim and fish the margins as most of these are on patrol routes. Bear in mind though that most of the swims are deep, typically with 10 feet at the bottom of the marginal shelf.

What can I expect to catch? Wingham is very unlike the artifically overstocked waters that many of you are used to. It's very much a big fish water, so although you're not likely to catch lots of fish (and may well blank) you've every chance of specimens, especially tench and perch, not to mention record bream! For further details click on the link on my signature at the end of this post.

How do I book? Contact me via an e-mail on the link above this post, (not by a PM nor by leaving a message here please). However, you're welcome to ask questions here as others may find the answers helpful.

[ 10. June 2005, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would this be too involved for a beginner ?

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

craynerd:

Would this be too involved for a beginner ?

One of the nicest things about Wingham is that it's very little fished. As a result complicated methods aren't needed. In fact nearly all my fish at Wingham (including the big bream by the way) come on uncomplicated rigs and baits fished in the margins.

You'd therefore be most welcome. BTW, I give location ideas to everyone who asks for them as I've found that finding the hot areas in each swim is the single most important factor at Wingham.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Sounds good Steve!!! :-D

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

BUDGIE:

Another good thing about the Fish Ins is that as well as fishing top waters and meeting top guys there will always be some one willing to show you the ropes.

That true mate. What the hell I would like to come down as well. My chance to knock Budgie smile of his face with my new record bream! :P:D

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

BUDGIE:

Another good thing about the Fish Ins is that as well as fishing top waters and meeting top guys there will always be some one willing to show you the ropes.

And nick your burgers

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton:

Elton:

And nick your burgers
:D:D:D:D:D:D

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/