sad state of affairs

Davy Holt

Hiya,

It would seem we have a problem up here with the selection of anglers to represent Scotland.

It used to be that only the best angers represented the Country, but now it seems that anyone with enough cash can buy themselves into the team. I know there is a bit of political stuff going on and that a few anglers have refused to fish for Scotland, but do we really need to go to this level???

Has match angling now stooped to a new low???

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Davy?

Has it taken this long for you to realise that`chinless wonders` rule Scottish fishing?

Lords, Lairds and Ladies have held way too much sway over Scottish fishing for decades! It even descend to the level of sea-anglers?

If your not in the `club`, you`ll find it very hard to get picked.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Hi Davy

Just noticed your post on the contenious issue of people representing our country in boat matches, and I fully agree with you. This issue is always brought up in the discussion forum on that England Biased Sea Angling magazine web sites discussion board by us Scots :)

Both the EFSA Scotland and SFSA should totally relook at how they select both their A & B teams. there also seems to be a central region bias towards the team selections ... possibly because these guys have better access to more matches, and to numerous "scratching" matches in the north of England.

There are only two or three (Edinburgh & Dalgety Bay and one currently located in Northampton I think??? ... trying not to mention names :) ) out of the current regular team anglers would I say fish well around the rest of Scotland and UK, and can constantly push for a top 5-10 position in a match, and should be in the team.

Some others, I would not say are there on merit, there are many more guys that should be in ahead of them ... are they getting in because they have the time and the money? Is it time for a "proper" change in team selection, to let some new or on the fringes anglers in?

All the political stuff going on ... it seems to me that some peoples views on selection, is kind of wanting to tie up the team selection process to the team they want it to be, not what it should be, if they dont want to fish then they dont have to, no one is forcing them

It really is a sad state of affairs, and when it gets to this level but I know there has been a number of circumstance involved so kind of understand some of there reasons for it, I guess things needs to be looked at for an overhall, but hopefully an overhall that will continue to have the best possible team resprsent our country, and continue to beat the other home nations :)

I'll probably get crucified for this posting through e-mail, but what the h*ll.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Gillies:

Hi Davy

I'll probably get crucified for this posting through e-mail, but what the h*ll.

Gillies

Y

You should not be crucified of critisied at all except for the fact that the original topic was about the National beach/shore fising team.

From what I have read, some of the Scotish National team have quit because it is too damed expensive and there is no subsidie paid out, correct me if I am wrong..

Lets say for example that you enter the qualifiers and come 45th but because you are are a Doctor for eg you have the cash. you will be selected because you can afford the 1500 quid to represent your country.

I would love to represent my country in an international, if I was good enough and not because I could afford it.

:mad: For a change

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan Taylor:

I would love to represent my country in an international, if I was good enough and not because I could afford it.

Alan(nl)   :(

Yes, and that is just how it should be, but sadly this has been going on for a long time and it is unlikely to change. I remember one incident many years ago in which an angler who didn't go sea fishing because he is sick the instant he sets foot on a boat represented his country in an international sea angling competition largely because better qualified anglers for that event simply couldn't afford to go. The list of representives was full of well known names, but sadly few of them were sea anglers! Well not very proficient ones anyway!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Davy Holt:

Has match angling now stooped to a new low???

I have just read that the England ladies fly fishing team that won a gold medal in a home international a couple of weeks ago are sponsored by MASTERLINE to the tune of 90,000 pounds :cool: . They were also given a top of the range landing net by STONEFLY.

2 firms putting something back into the sport. :)

Well done to the ladies on a great win and to the firms for there support.

Alan(nl)

ps Did I mention that my sister was one of the winning team and came sixth out of 40 anglers :D

[ 22. July 2003, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

don't think we will have to debate this subject much longer as the SFSA seems to be

dwindling and breathing its last. can't speak for todays selection process but i assume its not changed much since i applied. one of the criteria was to list your match achievments.mmmh. problem here is the lack of matches and a lack of people entering them. so even if you do get into an event and post a result what does that mean? sadly the Scotland team will go the way of the dodo once the current people bore of it as i can't see anybody willing to put in the time and effort required to breath life back into it. hardly helps when the local club scene is also dead.

this is all probably in the end due to the lack of fish. no fish no interest.

me i feel the SFSA missed the boat 20 years ago when they should have nurturing youth and sponsers they seemed more interested in themselves.

don't think we will have to debate this subject much longer as the SFSA seems to be

dwindling and breathing its last. can't speak for todays selection process but i assume its not changed much since i applied. one of the criteria was to list your match achievments.mmmh. problem here is the lack of matches and a lack of people entering them. so even if you do get into an event and post a result what does that mean? sadly the Scotland team will go the way of the dodo once the current people bore of it as i can't see anybody willing to put in the time and effort required to breath life back into it. hardly helps when the local club scene is also dead.

this is all probably in the end due to the lack of fish. no fish no interest.

me i feel the SFSA missed the boat 20 years ago when they should have nurturing youth and sponsers they seemed more interested in themselves.