Little Grumble

I remember when I was a shy young boy and very new to angling, there I was all alone and two kids started having a go at me and threatening to throw my tackle into the pond! Thankfully these days its mainly curious cows and the odd stray dog following me around...

Let me put it this way, I've since favoured ponds and rivers far from the beaten track to avoid the idiots, and to some extent noisy anglers! I much prefer the solitude of quiet areas for that reason, besides which I always feel a bit embarassed with the state of my tackle - hardly cutting edge. My seat box is a retro brown colour that looked well in the 70s!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi mat the fisherman, im in shevington, thanks for the info, never knew there was fish in there, is it deep ?. i did hear that the one further up, i think its called the figure 8 has been netted do you know if its true or not.

thanks tony

Hello mat, there are two ponds in that area run by Wigan A.A. Houghtons which is adjacent to the renault garage over the road, and Scott Lane which is really two ponds joined together by a channel. This one I know contains some decent tench.

I haven't fished either for some time now, the litter problem is dreadful (a problem on a lot of Wigan A.A. waters I have found) and the last time I fished Scott Lane with my father, I had to rescue him from some little toerags of similar description to your tale, who were making it difficult for him to watch all his gear but soon left when I appeared.

Don't let it put you off Mat, there are some better waters around, tigger is spot on by the way, there are some rough estates in that area.

Do you have any transport?

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Kids.

Can't live with 'em.

Not allowed to kill 'em.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest tigger
hi mat the fisherman, im in shevington, thanks for the info, never knew there was fish in there, is it deep ?. i did hear that the one further up, i think its called the figure 8 has been netted do you know if its true or not.

thanks tony

I've got a lot of friends round Shevy. They're in the Plough a lot. Do you go in there at all?

grr kids !!!

last time i went on the Leeds/Liverpool canal at Burnley, a group of 3 10ish year olds was hanging about.

i was snagged on something, so moved about 5metres away from my tackle to try to get it free.

only turned my back for a few seconds.

came to look back, and my bait was being fired at a nearby swan with my catapult,

another lad was trying to net a floating chip tray with my landing net.

whilst the 3rd was starting to haul my keepnet in, to see what i had caught.

i wouldn't have dreamed of doing stuff like that when i was that age.

next time... THEY'RE BAIT (heard there's some good sized pike are in the Canal) :D

thank god i recently joined a club, whose venues are fenced off, and each member has a set of keys. :)

IPB Image

Guest Jan V

Really makes one appreciate that 99% of their fishing is from a boat out in the middle of a huge lake.

Guest Jan V
*makes note to self*

"buy a boat (witha big gun), just in case" :D

No, Chewy, a big engine works just fine.