Overhead power lines

GlennB

I'm a natural sceptic about these things, but over on another forum a lot of anglers are convinced that waters under power lines can be real "hot spots".

The reason I started wondering was that a short stretch of local canal that has been producing brilliantly - while neighbouring stretches have been much quieter - is in fact directly below some power lines (the bailiff winked and pointed out I was fishing illegally and wouldn't be able to sue them if I got zapped :) In all honesty you'd need to wave a 12m pole straight up to reach the cables, and I haven't even got a pole).

Anyhow, what's the feeling here about this? Do you know any notable hotspots close to power lines? Could fish or their natural food supply be attracted to these areas?

cheers,

Glenn "danger of death" B

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an interesting theory, Glenn. Oddly enough, a hotspot on my local commercial coincides with the track of overhead power lines. Whether it's "hotter" than the other hotspots on the fishery is open to question, but the *biggest* fish seldom come from this area, although a lot of the heaviest overall catches seem to.

You could stock a small tackle shop with the bits and pieces dangling from these power lines, but strangely nobody seems to have taken advantage of the freebies... :blink:

I'm a natural sceptic about these things, but over on another forum a lot of anglers are convinced that waters under power lines can be real "hot spots".

The reason I started wondering was that a short stretch of local canal that has been producing brilliantly - while neighbouring stretches have been much quieter - is in fact directly below some power lines (the bailiff winked and pointed out I was fishing illegally and wouldn't be able to sue them if I got zapped :) In all honesty you'd need to wave a 12m pole straight up to reach the cables, and I haven't even got a pole).

Anyhow, what's the feeling here about this? Do you know any notable hotspots close to power lines? Could fish or their natural food supply be attracted to these areas?

cheers,

Glenn "danger of death" B

Remember Glenn, electricity can 'jump' a fair distance, you don't have to touch the cables. :nono:

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

There was a lot about this several years ago in the angling press.Many well known anglers agreed with it and one of the theories put forward was to do with the magnetic forces the power lines create.Anyone here know anything about powerlines? ie do they create magnetic fields etc?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

heard old stories of a 20lb carp that haunted a little bit of canal up my way under the power lines when you get them no where else along the canal until you reach firhill basin (small open area of the canal next to football stadium)

could be a load of rubbish but who knows. now everyone will be fishing under power lines :unsure:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

It's probably more likely that not many people fish under them, so they become 'hotspots' because of the lack of angling pressure. The reason not many people fish under them is that if you get it wrong it'll turn from a 'hotspot' into a 'burnt-to-a-crisp-spot' :o

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music