The roach thread

Anderoo

I don't know the answer to your questions, Andrew. The only small nugget I have found works (though I have no experience of BIG roach) is that the bigger ones can be on the outside of the shoal - though you'll be aware of that already.

The reason for emailing is to ask about the reason for the small cage feeder. Is it to avoid overfeeding? Either way, is the aim to build up one swim, or to have a bit of groundbait near the bait each time? Unless you are fishing very close, ot are unbelievably accurate at casting, it's always seemed to me that in reality you end up with a patch of river-bed a yard or two across with little bits of bread here and there. Isn't the difficulty accentuated if you have a very small feeder?

Part of my reason for asking is that I met an experienced roach angler on the Thames a few weeks ago who also used very small cage feeders, casting 30 yards across the river. I can see that it's less of an issue on the Bristol Avon, but I'd be interested in your and other comments all the same

john clarke

John, I think you might have been replying to my post rather than Andrew's? I'm fishing a much smaller river than Andrew's bit of the Thames, it's the Bristol Avon and the far bank is an easy underarm swing. As you guessed, the feeder was sized to the amount of feed I wangted to put in.

41F7F2BA-03FA-4562-82C5-D2B8FC59342A_zps

Just to add, I could easily have float fished it instead, but I wanted to fish into darkness. I could also easily feed by hand and fish a straight lead, but the water is surprisingly deep and I wanted to get the feed hard onto the bed.

Indeed! Let me know when you are on the Quest and hopefully we can share a session or two over the remainder of the season.......... :)

Absolutely! Looking forward to it :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The reason for the very small feeders (got a feeling I know who you're talking about, Flying Tench) is two-fold, one, so as not to overfeed the roach, and two, to get the feeder to move. I've used this method for three years on the Thames and when the flow is right and the conditions - colour, temps - right as well it is deadly. You need to change feeders, even tips, as you rove on the river. I have 5 different rods for using this method as the conditions vary considerably, ranging from a 10ft wand to a 12ft Avon. That may be the problem with little fish on the Bristol Avon; you need more flow. Quite a bit on this in my new book as I find it a fascinating method that I have got to work on my local Dorset waters at times.

There is still a huge amount of small fish activity on the Avon at the moment - until the sun went down, I was getting knocks and rattles within seconds of the bait hitting the water. That will lessen if we get some colder weather, but I wondered whether the presence of small (4oz ish) roach was a good or bad sign location-wise. If I were after big chub and found I was getting lots of half pounders, I'd probably move.

There is still a huge amount of small fish activity on the Avon at the moment - until the sun went down, I was getting knocks and rattles within seconds of the bait hitting the water. That will lessen if we get some colder weather, but I wondered whether the presence of small (4oz ish) roach was a good or bad sign location-wise. If I were after big chub and found I was getting lots of half pounders, I'd probably move.

Thanks for your earlier reply - and Mark. Interesting re getting a feeder to move on the Thames! I will certainly try it.

Re your question of the 4oz roach, you all know more than me but I will start the ball rolling. For me anything over 12oz is big. Most of the times I have had roach over 12oz there have been other decent fish around, but nearly always some smaller ones as well. But change of bait can have a big effect. On one occasion (a lake in summer) I was catching small roach bite-a-chuck on maggot, and switched to meat and immediately was into several 12oz fish. I was astonished they were there, having had so many smaller fish. Similarly on the Kennet in winter switching from maggot to bread. But after the switch of bait the better fish came pretty well straight away, though there was still the occsional small one. I don't know if this is others' experience?

john clarke

I've had the same thing John, when changing from maggot to caster, bread, or even worm. I also agree with you in that I've usually found the better fish to be on the edge of the main shoal. That can mean upstream, downstream, either side, or above/below the main shoal. There's been many a time when a longer trot, a miscast that has fallen short, or altering the depth has produced a bigger than average roach. It was standard procedure in my river match fishing days.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I had a couple of afternoons at two different bits of the Thames at the weekend, just to dip my toe in the water. A few small roach and a few small chub, and one better chub of almost 4lb that did a very good bream impression.

It was nice to be back out there but it's still too warm. It doesn't feel right yet. We need a few frosts and lower temps overall, I think - and a bit more flow in the river.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

........I've usually found the better fish to be on the edge of the main shoal. That can mean upstream, downstream, either side, or above/below the main shoal. There's been many a time when a longer trot, a miscast that has fallen short, or altering the depth has produced a bigger than average roach. It was standard procedure in my river match fishing days.

Very true, I have had many a roach of over a pound that way. Have also had the odd two-pound-plus fish by the same method, - but in the river its always a chub, and in still water usually a carp !

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...