How much backing?

Mike Dodds

Santa is bringing me an Abu 7 multiplier (my first multiplier). I'm going to put 30lb braid on it. How much backing should I put on the spool first. I'll be using the reel for boat fishing... I've got 300 meters of braid, but I don't think I'm likely to be fishing that deep.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mike,

Granted im not great at boat fishing.. It might be a good idea to fill the whole lot with braid? Just say for instance the whole lot went ping on a snag(touch wood-And it can happen, just ask what i did to norries reel full o braid at amble) If the reel was full with braid you could still fish on, whereas with backing on then youde need to start from scratch or use another reel...

Shaun

Tight Lines

Shaun

Put it all on, if you are drift fishing rough ground the braid can become frayed and can suddenly snap if snagged. Further I once had to cut the line next to the rod tip having become totally snagged on some underwater obstruction which simply would not pull out, and the boat was about to move, everybody else was out the water, and my rod looked like snapping.... You will need the extra line to continue fishing if such disasters occur. If you are trying to work out how much line to put on to correctly fill the reel to the top with braid then use the formula Pi r squared dT minus Pi r squared d1 to estimate it (volume of cylinder of spool minus volume of backing which leaves the volume of the braid); this is more critical if using braid on a fixed spool for heavy duty shore fishing. If you are using a large boat multiplier then there may be plenty room on the spool to put it on above the mono you have been using, braid is much thinner and compact than equivalent mono. Have fun and remember to bring a bit of wood, end of a broom handle is suitable, to wrap the braid round if you get snagged, never use your hands!

Rockling.

Rockling:

If you are trying to work out how much line to put on to correctly fill the reel to the top with braid then use the formula Pi r squared dT minus Pi r squared d1 to estimate it (volume of cylinder of spool minus volume of backing which leaves the volume of the braid)

Wassat :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

frosty santa frosty

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

I never go wrecking without 9" of Broom Handle.

Fast hold on a Wreck or Sea Bed

Turn Off the drag, wrap the Braid several times around the broom handle, hold on, to the BH till the drift either parts the braid or the fast hold gives way.

Don't hold the tensioned BH too close to the face, incase of a whip back quick release. :(

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

Mike, Put all the Braid on first,or whatever amount you decide on, then join you backing to it, and reel that on, so it is at the top, then, turn it round, easy, and you get an exact fill....you can turn it on another 2 reels or spools ,or on a boat, by "floating" it out the back in the tide,or, by walking for ages up and down a field.

But, Shaun is correct....I would put it all on.... :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

6-9" of broom handle cut square at both ends and sanded until very smooth but paint free (paint is too slick).

Eye hooks screwed firmly into each end.

Belt clip affixed to eye hook at one end. Use the free eye hook at the other as a fishhook holder to help pull a knot tight after you've tied it if needed.

I never fish without one hanging from my belt. Saves lots of cut fingers and the chance of a broken rod or line bedded so deeply you can't cast.

[ 15. December 2004, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt can you put up a picture of your finger saving device?

Ha ha, Jabee, didn't you read "Physics is Fun" when you were at the big school?

There's quite a lot of applied physics and math in fishing if you think about it. They should put fishing or football examples in the maths and physics textbooks to get the kids interested? No doubt some boffin could estimate the likliehood of an individual angler catching a fish by some mathematical formula.

Rockling.