Kimmeridge Sunday 28th May

richi

Hi Richi,

Nice write up and pics again.

You deserve to catch going out in this wind.

Youll have arms like Arnie soon :D;)

Bill.

The wind wasn't as bad yesterday as it was today.It was calm one minute and gusting at about 20mph the next.If I'd had one of them sail kits I could have probably made the I.O.W. in about 20 minutes!Arms like Arnie---I hope so as long as I don't end up with a brain like him!Seriously though what it's all about to me

is knowing that I'm fit enough to put in that extra effort when needed. My favourite saying is you get fit paddling your yak not polishing it :yeah:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was late arriving and launched around 11am. Had met Shy Tangler in Whareham Angling and beaten him to the last of the rag, (so all about 2-3 inches long :angry:) Already decided I was going to head East to check out the famed Chapmans Pool and about 1/2 way there met up with ShyT and his definitely not shyt girlfriend/partner/wife? on the way back (Blimey, how lucky is he? with a woman who likes yak fishing) Got approximate directions to CP and carried on with the intention of catching up with the two yaks they'd seen ahead. Saw no one and didn't see anything that matched what my imagination had concocted as a sheltered little cove.

By the time I'd rounded St.Anselms Head, I decided I'd probably missed it and decided to have a fish. I was surrounded by charter boats and one of them came alongside for a chat. The skipper was tickled pink at seeing me out there and took a few pix. He said they'd had nothing but a couple of bream and that it had been a difficult day. I didn't bother anchoring, just drifted with the ebb which took me slowly further East and out to sea, mainly because, as Richi says, it blew up every now and then and surrounded me with white caps. I figured also being near a point there might be tide races around. Eventually, as the charter boats had all left me on my own, the intermittent white caps unnerved me sufficiently to head in close and see if I could find CP. After a 10 min struggle to free my leger I came up with this poor little chap, who saved I for bait as he no longer needed his fins.

Edited by paintfly

Cont. (Still can't seem to post several photos)

Eventually realised that the nearest grotty looking bay was CP and there was no hidden lagoon. So, beached round the corner to avoid the beachcombers and pee/lunch/sunbathe/closer inspection of fish.

Trolled a lure back to Kimmeridge and had a bit of fun in the small rollers hitting the ledges. Came in at 4.30 for a couple of hours to wait for HT and met Richi and MY as mentioned about 7.30 on my way down to launch, who said Darnsarf was still out.. Despite looking knackered Richi wavered about coming back out and had that look on his face that said he knew we were going to catch big time. :D Don't worry mate we didn't, although DS had caught a bass.

So, another disappointing day at K'ge on springs, like last time. Wotcha gotta do to catch there? I wonder could it have anything to do with the gill nets 30m from the shore. I had a look at the net size and the holes were max 1-1/2 ins wide. Don't know what the legal limit is, but I reckon this is pretty small.

What can be done about reporting this sort of behaviour? It seems to me, as yakkers, we are in a perfect position to act on this, and making regular reports of sightings would be a far more effective than our catch and release policies and observence of legal/voluntary size limits, which seems like a spit in the proverbial ocean. (not suggesting we don't observe them). Can a GPS position be phoned in/ email with photo?. If enough of us do it, eventually surely someone will have to take notice?

Edited by paintfly

Nice write ups Paintfly and Richi. Sound like you had a mamouth paddle. massive respect for the distances you covered as the sea was fairly lumpy at times. No fish to report from me, infact I didn't wet a line on Sunday but decided to watch Mrs Tangler blank instead. Well done to Darnsarf for getting a bass: only just missed you in the morning as you and Moonyaker were launching just as we arrived. Hopefully catch up with you all properly :drunk: at the tope meet. Provided the weather forecast is OK i'm planning to drive up on the Friday.

Yak: OK P13 (yellow)