Kimmeridge Sunday 28th May

richi

Nice write ups Paintfly and Richi. Sound like you had a mamouth paddle. massive respect for the distances you covered as the sea was fairly lumpy at times. No fish to report from me, infact I didn't wet a line on Sunday but decided to watch Mrs Tangler blank instead. Well done to Darnsarf for getting a bass: only just missed you in the morning as you and Moonyaker were launching just as we arrived. Hopefully catch up with you all properly :drunk: at the tope meet. Provided the weather forecast is OK i'm planning to drive up on the Friday.
there's a few of us travelling friday Aidy---I'm meeting Phooey on the way and I think DS is also driving friday----can't wait! :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin, Bill etc.

I see that an accord has been reached. Meanwhile, muggins was searching through angling tomes.

There must me a message here......if you want to get hold of something quickly.....use a net......if you want to enjoy the journey........don't.

Anyway....I found this really useful website on 'THE NET' which for the most part seemed very usesful in the identification of fish. The link goes straight to Poor Cod but the rest of it obviously refers to other fish. Looked like a 'Teatotal Pouting' to me.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/index.html#poorcod

Paintfly; that description did not sound like a typical mono-filament gill net to me. I do not think that such a net would catch many legal or illegal bass and, that mesh size is much smaller that that we have found down there in the past. I must tread carefully at this point as the last topic I posted on the subject of gill nets got removed within a few hours (though I do not think that its was my posts that forced the moderators to make this decision!). We did not note any nets set when paddling west yesterday though the place where they have been set for the last couple of years did not have any. If you want to discuss matters relating to the setting of gill nets the people to talk to are (as I recal) the local Fisheries Protection Board and I think they are based in Christchurch (for this area).

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

Paintfly; that description did not sound like a typical mono-filament gill net to me. I do not think that such a net would catch many legal or illegal bass and, that mesh size is much smaller that that we have found down there in the past. I must tread carefully at this point as the last topic I posted on the subject of gill nets got removed within a few hours (though I do not think that its was my posts that forced the moderators to make this decision!). We did not note any nets set when paddling west yesterday though the place where they have been set for the last couple of years did not have any. If you want to discuss matters relating to the setting of gill nets the people to talk to are (as I recal) the local Fisheries Protection Board and I think they are based in Christchurch (for this area).

Moonyaker

Yeah, I realise it's a sensitive issue and probably why no one else has responded so far. Just wanted a definitive explanation of the situation, what's legal, what can/cannot be done etc. Quite understand if people don't want to discuss it on the forum. Would welcome PM's from anyone who does.

Richi and Paintfly nice write ups.

Just to add special mention to Moonyaker on two counts. Firstly as a relative novice (aren't we all) he covered nearly 13 miles in a moderate sea and the slog out to Mupe Bay was against a spring tide and wind. Sneaky feeling he learned a few lessons on the way all of which was positive. Safe to say he came back twice the yakker he was when he launched in the morning.

Secondly, he gave me a lure to try and not being a lure kind of guy I was keen but not over enthusiastic. I was wrong, second cast niice sizable Bass when all else had failed. (we will ignore the 2 Wrasse on the float)

Unfortunately the fishing was then brought to a halt by some pretty inconsiderate netting by a local.

There may be more to follow.

HOwever, as always with Mupe Bay area the place always makes up for any poor fishing just by the stunning landscape. Its an area that screams kayak fishing, its tough but once we have cracked the coves and sea conditions the potential is huge.

Thanks to all for a tiring but rewarding day out :thumbs:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)