Reel Reccomendations

Mat Hillman

Looking for a bit of advice of fixed spool reels (yes I do occasionally use one)

Looking for a reel to use float fishing for bigger fish, tench mainly, but need a good enough clutch that I'll stand a chance of landing a carp hooked on tench gear - theres a good probablility that I'll be hooking some carp, maybe doubles while tenching on the waters I have in mind!

Can anyone recomend a reel that they use for this type of fishing? Will be using 4-6lb line and an avon style rod with it!

And ideally not break the bank either cool.gif

TIA

Mat

Mat

Depends on yourfishing method. If you float fish, there are many advantages to a front drag. If you tend to soak baits on a lead, there are obvious advantages to a baitrunner reel.

Not a recomendation but it narrows it down

To narrow it down further, what do you mean by not breaking the bank 'cause with a few exceptions, you're going to pretty much get what you pay for.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Depends on yourfishing method. If you float fish, there are many advantages to a front drag. If you tend to soak baits on a lead, there are obvious advantages to a baitrunner reel.

Not a recomendation but it narrows it down

To narrow it down further, what do you mean by not breaking the bank 'cause with a few exceptions, you're going to pretty much get what you pay for.

the reel will mainly be used for floatfishing, when I need to cast further than my prefered reel (centrepin) will allow, or on days that are too windy for the using the 'pin to be pleasurable! I already have a selection of baitrunners for ledgering, but find them too heavy when you are going to be holding the rod all day!

As it's going to be more of a back-up than a regulalryl used item of tackle I guess I was hoping to pick up something suitable in the under £30 sort of bracket!

Mat

Mat

OI OI,

my weapon of choice is two browning syntec's + 3 spare spool's with each one.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

Guest Brumagem Phil

Take a look at okuma's range. I've had two and whilst they both were found wanting due to my VERY heavy usage of them, I'd suggest for the more average user they offer VERY good value for money.

The interceptor for example is hard to beat at less than 30 quid given its features and sturdy build quality.

A man who used a centerpin is worried about a fixed spool's clutch! You can always backwind, so maybe a black prince would suit?

I've been very happy with Daiwa Laguna and Capricorn reels, they have a very good front drag system and excellent line lay.

Tim

I schouldt go for a daiwa like the caldia

They have a very good cluth and strong , i have many carp up to 30 lbs on a 4 lbs line on a size 2500 of daiwa while i was fishing for tench or bream

gr jerry

And as finishing touch

god created the dutch

Why exactly is the front drag back in vogue ?

Simply put, the front drag system is smoother and makes for a lighter reel.

Mat. Some of my backup reels are Okuma's and I've generally been very happy with them. I've not personally tried the "Payback" reel listed here http://www.tackleup.com/new_page_25.htm, but if one of their 40 size reels (Equivelent to a shimano 400 size) suits your style of fishing, it would seem to fit the bil.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Mat,

have a look at the Shimanos with the "fighting drag" feature. These are rear drag reels, but have an extra lever which allows the drag to be easily slackened or tightened during the fight, without changing the base drag setting.

I use an early version for tench fishing in an estate lake that has some 15-20lb carp in it, and find the fighting drag really useful when one of the carp decides the juicy lobworm tench bait is just what they fancy.

It gives a bit of extra insurance when the fish is under the rod top, and means you don't need to keep adjusting the main drag setting between fish.

Where's the 'ANY' key?