Why are most anglers white?

big tinca

Well I don't know many black guy's that would appreciate being called "coloured" but if theyt're of West Indian (and particularly Jamaican) origin, a lot of the old boys have an "interesting" take on Domino's.

Dominoes West Indian style must be experienced, great fun. :D:thumbs:

My Jamaican father in law was all set to come fishing with me but completely lost interest when he found out we wouldn't be eating the catch.

Seen a few black or mixed race anglers over the years but admittedly not many. A major reason could be traditionally, immigrant communities move into urban areas & as others have said there is little 'tradition' of fishing purely for sport.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to fish with a chinese friend and a mixed race friend, they were amongst the most talented dedicated anglers I've met, but they were certainly the exception

I have seen lots of asians sea fishing on the thames estuary.

I think black lads don't get into it because most of them live in urban areas where country sports are not seen as cool. I think this is the biggest reason. A good mixed bag of silver fish wont get you much respect on the street of hackney!!

Image is everything...

The majority of my fishing buddy's in South Africa were Indian (not SriLankan or Pakistani) and as far as I am aware most Indians were Indians, a lot of them commercially (Seine netters and commercial fishing boat crew.)

But I have to admit that although there are a number other races, the only other race I saw fishing was the Chinese from the Asian fishing trawlers that often used to dock in Durban.

In this country I have NEVER seen anyone but whites fishing.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Gentlemen and Fellow fishing associates, I am a black man and do Enjoy with a passion that would rival most my fishing. The Love of Fishing is not restricted to any Color, Race or Financial status. I am an American and we have fished for as many years as our nation has existed. I have not had the priviledge to fish in your country, but would love to. Every fisherman or woman is the same once we are on the shore or boat. It is indeed unfortunate that there are so few black anglers in England. JMHO!

HOPPY4

HOPPY

I have not had the priviledge to fish in your country, but would love to. Every fisherman or woman is the same once we are on the shore or boat. It is indeed unfortunate that there are so few black anglers in England. JMHO!

HOPPY4

Now the Vails have gone and therefore the weather is glorious, it's the perfect time for a trip to Blighty! Give it 2 weeks and the rivers will even be open ;)

But, seriously, I wonder if river fishing - especially catch+release - is not much part of the Afro-Caribbean outlook? Obviously things subtly change over the generations, but it's often Dads and Grandads who sow the seeds of some hobby or other in their kids' minds. It was my dad's love of cricket that got me on the cricketing path, and I suspect my own love of rock drumming that set my own son on the path to a career in percussion.

So if the older Af-Carib generations view fish as something to be caught in the nearby sea and shoved fresh on a barbie, maybe sitting in the freezing cold on the canal catching 2oz roach might not appeal. In fact might even be a bit of a negative??

On the other hand, I remember sitting on a lovely summer evening on the canal near Queens Park in N.London (a slightly 'tough' area) and accidentally catching a 4lb pike on a worm. A black kid who'd been strolling along the towpath was watching the performance and I eventually showed him the fish, including the pike's impressive set of teeth. His jaw dropped, he stared, and eventually said "I thought this canal was just full of shopping trollies! Where do they sell fishing rods around here???"

The whole process of getting into fishing needs a kick-start from somewhere ;) I'll bet you had a kick somewhere along the way Hoppy.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

What the hell is this topic about!

We are anglers. Whatever sex, creed, religion or nationality we enjoy the pursuit of fish and fishing. Nothing is more important.

Fin

Nobody would argue with that. But wondering why some groups don't go fishing much might be worthwhile. Few women anglers, few ethnic minorities etc etc

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Nobody would argue with that. But wondering why some groups don't go fishing much might be worthwhile. Few women anglers, few ethnic minorities etc etc

That's certanly a more constructive approach than that suggested by the EA recently.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

The part of America where Hoppy4 & I grew up is very different than the UK and you will commonly see anglers of various colors and sexes and ages fishing.

It may well be that having lots of water and no problems with what would be considered coarse fish as good table fare has something to do with that.

We had hoped that James could make it over for the Wingham fish-in but that didn't work out. He & I (and Budgie and a couple others) have been posting on the same forums since the late 90s and would all have enjoyed meeting. As it stands now, Hoppy & I will have to wait until he returns from Germany in late Fall so probably a Spring 2007 trip is in the cards.

Carl Douglas - I did not read this thread as anything other than a legit question about UK anglers seeing almost nothing other than white males on the bank enjoying the sport. This forum, for instance, has seen nearly 10K anglers join and at least 1K of them actively posting now. We have less than 10 active female members who fish (3 or 4 I think) and only a couple of men who are not white. Certainly not a plot (racist or sexist or otherwise) but simply a strange factiod.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President