Midges ! ! ! !

Andy_1984

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looked out what I use. called MIJEX high strength spray, which contains 50% DEET

It does work and is safe enough when used correctly.

Bear in mind I live, work, fish, shoot in midge central :(

No you don't mate. If there is a 'midge central' then I would think it would be more likely to be somewhere on the West coast. Applecross midges are pretty good, Mallaig and Ullapool are infamous. They say that the midges in Mallaig don't fly, they just hide behind a bush and drag you in as you walk by. <_<

Midges are drawn to dark objects so wear light coloured clothing. I know that light coloured clothing does not really suit our sport, but if you go in cammo you are more prone to airborn attack!

Humans are not the preferred meal ticket for the midge, deer, cattle and the like are. Some studies have shown that the midge is drawn to these hosts by chemicals in their breath, notably esters, alchohol and CO2. Whilst one can't do much about the CO2 short of not breathing, it may not be a bad idea to keep off the booze whilst in midge country! Whilst we are on the suject of chemicals wafting in the air, once a female has scored a meal (only females bite, quelle surprise :P ) she releases a pheromone that tells the rest of the swarm that dinner is served.

DEET works, but anything with less than 85% is less effective. Newt's mask and clothing look like they might be worth a try, as long as they really can keep ou the midge. Newt, you can help out here. The little critters we are talking about are not a mosquito, the look like tiny little black flies and they can swarm in literal millions. The wingspan is only 1.2mm or 0.0473". Would that clothing keep out something as small as this?

Just my tuppence worth.

I hate midges.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote