Midges ! ! ! !

Andy_1984

I went to Nova Scotia, Canada in June a few years back to visit some relatives and decided to do a spot of fishing. I lasted about half an hour until i felt I was being eaten alive by these little black flies. The little b***ers drew blood :o . I later found if you want to fish in Nova Scotia try a different month.

Edited by Jigotai

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have fished in many countries and been bothered by a wide assortment of midges, bugs, yellow flies, mosquitos and the like.

One product that has consistently kept them off me, is Avon Skin So Soft lotion.

No joke, this product is not sold as an insect repellant, but it is very effective.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

it is to do with person, they are after sweet blood. People who live in areas with many mosq`s naturaly adapt to it, body produces somthin they dont like. In myexperience this happens 7-8 days once in mosq teritory. there is some chep flower type crap they dont go near, dont know name but if scent on yur hands, it will pass on to bait and fish dont like it either.

I have fished in many countries and been bothered by a wide assortment of midges, bugs, yellow flies, mosquitos and the like.

One product that has consistently kept them off me, is Avon Skin So Soft lotion.

No joke, this product is not sold as an insect repellant, but it is very effective.

got a bottle in my seatbox all the time works a treat and you smell nice to boot :)

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

Very interesting - we also travel a lot and have encountered a pretty wide range of bloodsuckers. We have found anything with a reasonable quantity of D.E.E.T in it works against most critturs but the disadvantage is the horrible taste in your mouth if you absorb too much "Deet" through your skin.

Another option is to make a wood fire and sit in the smoke - the downside is smelling like a kipper through three subsequent showers :blink:

I will get Herself onto checking out this Avon product - if it makes me "smell nice" as Les Middy suggests I can imagine what my mates might have to say - must remember to get my retaliation in first :sun:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I'm not convinced it's entirely down to some people getting bitten and others not. I think some people get bitten but don't react to the bites. I do, badly. I got savaged by a horsefly on opening day one year, and there was still a lump there the following year.

The bug-proof clothing is pretty well designed because turkey season opens during the fall when it is still really warm in the US south and a turkey hunter has to sit in the woods and be absolutely still. Something is needed to keep the bugs away without cooking the wearer. Given the birds excellent sense of smell, deet/avon/etc. products really can't be used if you expect to see any game.

The area where Jan was raised, Wisconsin, is an area that was scrubbed by the last glaciers that moved south. As a result, there are huge numbers of shallow depressions to 5-6 feet deep and acres in size that fill with rainwater. Perfect insect breeding areas and the fact that they freeze solid in winter means no fish. Again, lots of incentive to develop good bug proof stuff.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I live in midge territory, and some days we can't even use the garden :(

The keepers and ghillies up hear all use Avon Skin so Soft moisturiser, but can't say it works for me.

Anything with high levels of deet seems to work, but is pretty toxic.

We have just ordered one of these for the garden but can't see it catching on for fishing trips :)

http://www.midgemonster.co.uk/

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I've always found that the best solution is to retire to the nearest pub just before the midges lift off. Then stay there until gone midnight when they've gone back down. This has the the added advantage that you also miss the morning midge bite as well because you are too hungover to get out of the tent. You don't catch any fish though!