Midges ! ! ! !

Andy_1984

I too have used Avon Skin So Soft for several years after a tip off here on the Forum. I can't recall the last time I was bitten after using it.

However it seems to be important to get the right variety. A search on Google will throw up lots of useful information.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting - we also travel a lot and have encountered a pretty wide range of bloodsuckers. We have found anything with a reasonable quantity of D.E.E.T in it works against most critturs but the disadvantage is the horrible taste in your mouth if you absorb too much "Deet" through your skin.

Another option is to make a wood fire and sit in the smoke - the downside is smelling like a kipper through three subsequent showers :blink:

I will get Herself onto checking out this Avon product - if it makes me "smell nice" as Les Middy suggests I can imagine what my mates might have to say - must remember to get my retaliation in first :sun:

yer mates wont be laughing if your the only one not getting eaten alive

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

A mate of mine used to roll his own cigs, he started using what I think was called "Honey Blend" tobacco. If he lit up in the car, all the windows had to be open. But on the bank I've seen wasps nose dive when they flew into a cloud of his smoke, the midges stood no chance. :)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Avon is great but you need to like being pestered for all the other cosmetice :sun:

The one that works for me is SHOO....odour free and the little buggers avoid it :)

It also lasts well.

Make sure you dab it on all the anti mozzie gear. Dress up like nanook of the north and then wade well out to keep cool.

I usually wrap up well but the eyes are a bit tricky... so just dab it on the glasses.

Alternatively just avoid the summer in the highlands or go to an island and fish on the windward side.

"Muddlin' along"

Just looked out what I use. called MIJEX high strength spray, which contains 50% DEET

It does work and is safe enough when used correctly.

For info on DEET see this

http://www.advisorybodies.doh.gov.uk/pdfs/reviewofdeet.pdf

Bear in mind I live, work, fish, shoot in midge central :(

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

went up highlands last friday to sunday got there at 3am on the saturday went for a little sleep as it was to dark to see any steep slopes or dangers, around 3:30 there was enough light to check out where we decided to go my m8 was still asleep in the car so i get out and notice 2 fish moving around on the surface for about 2 minutes moving same direction like they were together "Synchronized swimming" bats swooping down near the water and getting all the little bugs owls hooting in the forest behind me and lots of fish jumping for flies in the deadly calm water. it was a very impressive and moving scene. 2 hours later The dreaded midge! opened up my maggot tub and it felt like thousands of midges where spread all over my face so i nick my m8's midge net while he was still asleep so all was well... or so it seemed. 5 minutes looking out into the loch with a serious feeling of contempt i look down at my hand and it was covered in millions of them. that was it i had to leave to a more open area with a bit more of a breeze so we found somewhere and caught absolutley nothing no pike no trout no salmon (salmon fishing was free) the closest i came to catching somthing was one little fish jumping around 2oz felt like wading over to it and tryin to get it in the waders oh and i had to get out in the loch on waders as the midges had caught up with us.

anyway im done ranting and i need some repellent i heard of one a while ago somthin like teetree oil or somthin like that

anyone got any stories of midges ruining your fishing weekend

I suffer bad boils everytime I get bit by midges, ive tried everything on the market to stop them getting my blood. The only thing that I have found that works for me is garlic tablets. Take them 24 hours before you go fishing and every 24 while you are their.

Don't think there is a repellant that works against midges. Try a salt / water solution and apply to face, hands etc. It does seem to reduce the number of bites, and if you can resist scratching the ones you get you might just cope with fishing! :sun:

I use this stuff -

http://www.neemco.co.uk/shop/insectrepellent

Would highly recommend it - as a non-Deet alternative which is just as good as DEET IMO...

C.

cheers chris this was exactly the stuff i was looking for :clap2: . dont know why i missed your post last time i checked

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

cheers chris this was exactly the stuff i was looking for :clap2: . dont know why i missed your post last time i checked

I re-ordered some just last night - reckon you need to re-apply a little more frequently than DEET but at least it don't melt plastic! :lol:

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog