Mozzie repellants!

Mat Hillman

India Tree Oil with Neem extract is the business for keeping skeeters and midges off. We used it last year and it kept everything off. It smells quite nice too.

I just bought a Midge head-net. It's not very handsome but it helps keep your sanity together. There's nothing more annoying than hoardes of midges.

Click HERE for NeemCo product description.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy.

You actually like the smell of Neem ??????

The stuff I bought in India is great for treating skin problems but smells like rancid cabbage and sulphur.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Diethyltoluamide is the chemical name for DEET, if one were pedantic (who, me!) the full chemical name is N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide.

DEET is without a doubt very effective, but is potentially very toxic. Read this for some good advice and info on using any product containing DEET.

We have a couple of nasty diseases spread by ticks in the UK, namely, Lyme Disease (AKA Borreliosis) and Anaplasmosis. Both diseases are can be extremely debilitating, but are rarely fatal. DEET is effective againt ticks too.

Interesting post, mate. Many thanks for that.

From Ken L

The topic of insect repellents has been done to death (do a search) on here but the upshot is 1. Shower in the afternoon and get yourself clean and free of mossie attracting oders. 2. Do not use any aftershave, deoderant etc.

I believe that mossies are attracted to all creatures from the carbon dioxide that is breathed out and can detect this from a distance of 1 kilometre

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Andy.

You actually like the smell of Neem ??????

The stuff I bought in India is great for treating skin problems but smells like rancid cabbage and sulphur.

The stuff from NeemCo doesn't smell like sulphur or cabbages. I can assure you of that.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

There's nothing more annoying than hoardes of midges.

Click HERE for NeemCo product description.

What, not even me? ;). Andy, do these head net things work. I first saw them a couple of weeks ago

on the telly. Some archaeologists were wearing them whilst they were excavating a crannog. I cannot think of a better way to be eaten alive by the little pests than crawling about on your hands and knees in a crannog.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

The Avon Skin So Soft you need to ask for is the one called Woodland Fresh. It does seem to work quite well and does smell a bit, but is "unusual" rather than too perfume-like. Somebody once advised rubbing your skinwith Bounce tumble drier sheets, but the smell is so strong that it makes you feel ill. I'm not surprised the mozzies can't home in on you - they're probably throwing up.

I'm sure I would use Deet if I was going anywhere where biting insects put my life in danger, but it seems far too nasty to use otherwise.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

do these head net things work. I first saw them a couple of weeks ago on the telly.

They do - as do the gloves and overshirts made of the same material. Surprisingly they are not as warm as you would expect.

Almost impossible to hunt turkeys in this area without that sort of protective clothing since the woods they enjoy are damp and they can smell most any repellent product you might use.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I spent a year in Malawi Africa and Oil of lemon eucalyptus repellent works very well, also a high Garlic intake helps, other people may not like you though!

Hi Stephen-C and welcome to Anglers Net.

I always sorta figured that anyone who doesn't like garlic isn't anyone I want to know. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President