The pitfalls of printers

Clifftop

Had to buy me a printer, i dont really do a lot of printing and so wanted nothing fancy, so i bought a canon iP1800.It came with ink installed ready to go. Pretty basic machine but does what i want cost $69.

I was a happy little camper.

Yesterday i was printing CD covers and it was a case of trial and error.The upshot of this was running out of colour and 1/2 the black gone.

Went online to buy from a place i've used in the past and with the free postage was cheaper than what i can buy locally.

Cost of printer $69

Cost of 2 ink cartridges $54 dollars

Not a happy little camper now.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred, we HAD a Canon printer and it sits on Newt's computer desk and isn't even installed on any of our PC's. Gobbled ink worse than a Lexmark (and that takes a lot, too). Our best experiences have been with the HP. Printers are dirt cheap because the manufacturer can then rip you off on the ink cartridges. Stupid warranty goes null and void if you use refills or off brand cartridges.

Edited by Jan V

Unfortunatly we have a lexmark. They have made them nice and compact now, including the size of the ink cartriges. Tried refills and drilling, putting ink in them but never had any real sucess. Resigned to paying a high price until the next time we replace the printer.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Unfortunatly we have a lexmark. They have made them nice and compact now, including the size of the ink cartriges. Tried refills and drilling, putting ink in them but never had any real sucess. Resigned to paying a high price until the next time we replace the printer.

I have a Canon Pixma iP5000 and I've not had a problem with ink consumption or the cost of refills. Having said that it's a model that doesn't require Canon replacement cartridges. I buy mine from Choice Stationery together with cleaning cartridges and they're excellent value. Can't recommend them highly enough

Edited by Peggy Burke

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

Peggy, I also buy the generic cartridges and save money in doing so. I see no difference in the quality of the output. We like the "HP All in One" printers since they are also copiers and scanners.

I have two Canon printers, an IP4200 and an IP4500. They both use the Canon chipped cartridges, and they both suffer very high useage.

Under the label on top of the cartridge is a little depression. If you remove a section of the label you will see a little plastic ball set into an opening. This is the refill point. I use a sharp threaded bradawl which screws into the ball to get a grip allowing me to pull it out. I then refill the cartridge with ink I buy in bulk, 500ml at a time, from Ebay, The ball then just presses home and the bradawl is unscrewed. On occasions I have had to refill cartridges 6 time a day so the printers take some stick and both perform with no problems. I probably refill the cartridges close to 100 times before the little ball is worn out!

The other advantage is that they both print direct onto CDs which is important for my business.

Would buy Canon again over any other make, no problem :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Peggy, I also buy the generic cartridges and save money in doing so. I see no difference in the quality of the output. We like the "HP All in One" printers since they are also copiers and scanners.

I've got the same one. I just went round PC World's cartridge selection, found out which was cheapest and then bought the printer that took them! To be honest it is a bit of a pain in the arris, as it insists on re-installing itself every time I power it up. I don't know whether that's down to the printer or the computer (it's on my Vista machine so I have no intention of trying to sort it out!)

Always use Epsom, never had any problems, got a six cartridge model currently, run it on look a like ink cartridges as cheap as chips if not cheaper and no problems. Run off thousands of flyer's and other shop pricing bits and pieces.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I've got the same one. I just went round PC World's cartridge selection, found out which was cheapest and then bought the printer that took them! To be honest it is a bit of a pain in the arris, as it insists on re-installing itself every time I power it up. I don't know whether that's down to the printer or the computer (it's on my Vista machine so I have no intention of trying to sort it out!)

Are you using the Vista driver for the printer, Colin? We are on a network and I use XP Pro on my desktop, Vista on my laptop and Newt has Vista on his laptop. We've had no problems nor has Vista insisted on a re-install every time we boot up. Maybe Newt can help you on that. I'm the software portion of our computer expertise and Newt does the hardware, OS and networking.

Always use Epsom, never had any problems, got a six cartridge model currently, run it on look a like ink cartridges as cheap as chips if not cheaper and no problems. Run off thousands of flyer's and other shop pricing bits and pieces.

i find the heads dry out if you dont use them and you chuck the printer away ,always had epson since dot matrix but got an hp now ,new heads with every cart ,easier to refill too with bigger carts.

i really want an A3 printer but their expensive ,had an HP 1220c (same carts as my elderly but supported 970cxi)but its not supported under xp ,annoyed me so much it went out the back door with the XP generic driver :angry:

strangely they get fair prices on ebay ,they will learn just as i did :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson