The pitfalls of printers

Clifftop

One point worth remembering with new printers is the ink cartridges supplied have less capacity than the replacements, so you have to buy new ones much sooner.

Could be your problem Clifftop??

As said Epson take some beating, HP I'm not so sure as new cartridges are so expensive.

Colin

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As said Epson take some beating,

Colin

I had Epson for years. I spent more time, ink and money cleaning the heads than I ever did printing. The only thing I would beat one with is a baseball bat. :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

One point worth remembering with new printers is the ink cartridges supplied have less capacity than the replacements, so you have to buy new ones much sooner.

Could be your problem Clifftop??

As said Epson take some beating, HP I'm not so sure as new cartridges are so expensive.

Colin

The thought had never entered my head Colin but you may very well be right as when i asked for the ink by the number in the printer i was told '' no you cant get that you have to get this now''.

Two totally different numbers.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

I've got an Epson, but buy the cartridges from Argos for less than 1/2 the cost of those from a cut-price stationers!

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I haven't had a colour printer for about ten years!

I just buy cheap lasers, often replacing them with a new one when the toner runs out, as it's cheaper!

I did buy a cheap 'copy' toner this time, though, which is twice the capacity of the standard one. It's been in there for well over a year :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

i have an hp laserjet 6mp and picked up a new toner cart for a fiver at a boot sale (still sealed) luckily the printer has the postscript board already installed as they are expensive to buy

got it by accident ,when i worked at the uni i used to collect all the redundant equipment take it to my office ,remove it from the itinerary then skip it (you could then but now its taken away at a high price) anyways this machine was on a trolly full of stuff i collected and once it was de registered i took a fancy to it tried it out and although grainy it worked so it went home on the honda.

next day phone call ,did i find a hp etc ,yes ,too late etc.

cleaned it up carefully cleaned the green roller and its worked perfectly till this day.

turns out an academic (lots of quals short on brains) put it there to be cleaned but forgot to tell anyone! when the trolley full was collated and emailed to me it was collected,he no doupt just ordered a new one i had his !thanks.

luckily it was on the official list of the items to be collected otherwise it would have been a problem but millions are wasted in uni's so that would have been overshadowed anyway ,the tech who emailed me got moaned at the academic got moaned at ...i did my job.

the cart that was in it lasted a couple of years and its been refilled twice using the toner from replacement carts bought for now skipped laser printers and destined for the skip themselves,plenty more toner in the loft ,they are fine until the green roller gets damaged then i will put in my cheap bootfair one :D

carefull of hp carts theres two versions normal and light user ,i'v seen the prices reversed and a tenner difference just walking across the road i refill them anyway but eventually the heads get clogged so i keep my eye out for them at boot fairs .the 6mp is old but unlike modern laser copiers its made to last new ones dont use tubes to heat the toner but conductive strips which fail easily as they are bending each time they heat up and fracture !the modern trend of throw it away culture and cheap crappy parts in it so they are and a new one bought as most are unfixable even to me :o

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

My last one was an Epson A3 1520 lasted five years without any problems using look alike cartridges. Needed more desk top space so moved onto the Epson Stylus Photo RX500, had it two years now, no problems at all, still using cheap look alike cartridges. I like the six cartridge system, gives a good quality print without wasting ink, I hated the old block type cartridge.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

My last one was an Epson A3 1520 lasted five years without any problems using look alike cartridges. Needed more desk top space so moved onto the Epson Stylus Photo RX500, had it two years now, no problems at all, still using cheap look alike cartridges. I like the six cartridge system, gives a good quality print without wasting ink, I hated the old block type cartridge.

its only an A4 printer isnt it Ken? i wouldnt have an all in one ..break one bit throw away two <_<

i need an A3 printer but even second hand they are expensive ,i need an A3 scanner but ludicrous in price.

i bought my mrs a S/H kodak mini printer ,she just bluetooths her pics from her phone to it and it prints ,veeeery expensive to put the paper and transfer replacements in (about 30p a pic) BUT she can do it herself :thumbs: the print is as good as print shops if not better and waterproof

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I had Epson for years. I spent more time, ink and money cleaning the heads than I ever did printing. The only thing I would beat one with is a baseball bat. :)

Amazing how we can have two entirely different experiences??

But I have have serious misgivings about Canon printers! But that was a few years back, who knows they may have improved?

Colin

Colin

trouble is with inkjets is you need to use them often to keep the heads "damp" i had no problems all the years we lived in a cold house but two have died in this central heated one :(

there are programs out there that wipe the heads at boot up but the printer has to come on at startup of windows ,my hp does (even after turning its powers off then on again) my epons didnt unless i turned them on manually.

i have a big 10 socket extention lead where all my pc related stuff plugs in so the printers go off when i switch the pc off at the mains.

ok being a lazy git i dont manually turn my pc off ,as the monitor chucks out more heat than a toaster it needs to remain on longer than the pc to cool.

to get round this need to get out of bed to switch everything off i have a remote controlled socket ,handy for switching everything on again in the morning because by the time i get dressed the monitors heated the room up :lol:

on a series note these remote controlled sockets are great ,we rarely use the living room telly and stuff so it all can be switched completely off (saving money instead of it all sitting on standby) and all on again at the press of a switch

Edited by chesters1