Braid. Is it just me that hates the stuff?

john frum

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

@SUMMER@:

im gonna have to read the whole thing again now. why cant you use it for uptiding? I have? I think?.

I casted a 6 ounce gripper up past the anchor area (uptide) I let the weight hit the bottom and then hold and then let out a lot of line (braid) so that it forms an underwater bow. Although the weight is ahead of the boat the line looks to be pointing down tide.

Is this not uptiding? And dont dare disagree with me or ill come down there and do ya.

So am I uptiding or just simply fishing uptide?

Guest NickInTheNorth

Steve Coppolo:

Hi Steve

Funny you should mention casting downtide!  Last year two of us fished for hounds in about 30ft of water.  I was casting one rod up and across, the other straight down.  My mate did the same on his side of the boat.  For some reason, on that day the downtide rods outfished the uptide ones by 3 to 1!  I haven't been able to pin a logical reason on it, other than that the downtide rods may have been dropping the baits in a slight depression or something.

Come on Steve, it's obvious, the reason that downtide rod caught more is 'cos it's a far superior method! :D:D:D demon

Back to braid, I'm a self-confessed bottom bouncer, my theory being that most skippers anchor uptide from the mark.

So with this in mind I fish as light a weight as possible and bounce it quietly down tide in the hopes that by covering more ground I will cover more fish and a moving bait is normally hit harder than a static bait.

For this method I use braid with a mono leader as I feel that it enables me to feel what is happening a lot better than mono.

I have tried braid for casting on surf beaches but as all ready stated by others, when things go wrong they go very wrong and a pair of scissors is the only answer.

Thats my five eggs, I've put on the flack jacket, so away to go. :D:D

[ 04. July 2005, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Ken Davison South Wales ]

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest stevie cop

@summer@. That depends what bait you were using ;o)

Seriously though. For uptiding to be effective you need to cast 3 times the depth of water you're fishing in. ie, 300ft of water needs a 300 yard cast!

You also need to be fishing over a bottom that will allow the grip wires on your lead to dig in. It's a waste of time otherwise.

I can see that braid would come into its own for trotting a lead down tide Ken. The stretch in mono makes it extrememly difficult. I've seen a lot of people lifting and letting line out believing that they are trotting their lead back, when all they have been doing is making a bigger and bigger bow in their line!

In the begining it was not uptiding as I recall but casting away from a boat when fishing shallow water. It was a fellow called Gillepie who wrote in a mag called "Angling" I think who said it reminded him of up stream ledgering for chub.

Hey Guys, Ive just had a quick look at this thread and have to agree with Steve. I live in Essex and have fished uptide for some 30+ years now. I also wrote an article that was published in the May issue of Boat Fishing Monthly on this very subject. Braid IMHO is of no use while uptiding.

All the best Guys Ryan.

Steve Coppolo:

I find it sad that you have to go through such lengths to try to prove someone wrong.  And then to still end up failing miserably!   Very sad.

Steve.. I suggest you go back and read the posts again before trying to make someone look stupid as it only backfires on you mate.

One deciding factor that you never even thought to ask was.. how much tide was there when I did the uptiding. Anyway enough said on this as there is obviously no way of proving to you that it is possible to uptide in deep water.. I know what I've done.. you dont :P

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"