Braid. Is it just me that hates the stuff?

john frum

Ryan Lynch:

Hey Guys, Ive just had a quick look at this thread and have to agree with Steve. I live in Essex and have fished uptide for some 30+ years now. I also wrote an article that was published in the May issue of Boat Fishing Monthly on this very subject. Braid IMHO is of no use while uptiding.

All the best Guys Ryan.

:cool: I think braid is great for uptiding, I need less lead, I don't have to cast so far uptide, I don't have to have such a large bow of line out and I catch more fish than with nylon, but that obviously counts for nothing, so why would any one use it? :D

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cor a scrap with the unaproachable one and i haven't got my tuppence worth in yet :¬(

a bu**er i can't be bothered cause i've learned at last its better to keep shut and catch instead.

just couldn't resist though.....

i'm away to uptide for my next skate, that should be fun............... maybe

Guest stevie cop

Hi Davy

If you fished uptide in 300 ft of water, that was some casting mate! 300 yards, and from a boat too!

Who looks stupid Davy?

No disrespect mate, you are only stating what you believe is right, but I would stick to catching your pet Skate if I were you and leave the uptiding to those of us who know how it's done properly.

Norm, I did say IMHO, ive fished uptide for 30+ years and i have used braid for uptiding but found it to be of no benefit, unless i wanted to fish very light, which i do from time to time (AND WILL USE BRAID)

Braid makes for interesting casting, it tangles great and can be a bugg3r to sort out, weed hangs on to braid but slips down mono. If you fish a tighter line the low stretch braid pulls your gear free in a swell, if you fish a big bow you have allot of slack out so why bother with braid? add to this the cost of braid all adds up making mono top for me for standard uptiding. I catch all i need on mono the braid made little diference to my catch rate but it did cost me more, i spent more time pulling weed free and if another angler tangled my line it was a real bugg3r to sort out. I will stick with mono Thanks

All the best Ryan.

Guest stevie cop

Exactly gerryatric. The method was developed for use in relatively shallow water, sandy, muddy bottom and strongish tides. It is as good as useless to even attempt to fish uptide in 300 ft of water. It's a bit like me pirking for Cod in the chocolate coloured water of the Thames estuary. Total waste of time. Mind you, it has been attempted several times by visiting anglers from other areas in the country believe it or not!

There is a lovely, true, story about a charter skipper who had a party of anglers down from up north somewhere. They wanted to have a go at this new fangled uptide fishing. The skipper kitted them all out with uptide rods and Abu multipliers. The he and his crewman baited up and cast out for them all. Immediately, they all started to jig the rods and wind in. "What are you doing that for?" asked the skipper. "Because that's how we fish at home" came the reply. The patient skipper then explained the method of uptiding to the party of anglers, baited up and cast out for them again. Straight away, they started jigging and reeling in again. When they were all in, the skipper and his crewman cast out for them again, but this time took their Abu spanners and removed the handles from all the reels! When the rods started nodding, they put the handles back on and let the party reel in their Cod! That is a true story. It just goes to show that some people never listen, and won't believe certain things unless they see it with their own eyes.

Steve Coppolo:

When they were all in, the skipper and his crewman cast out for them again, but this time took their Abu spanners and removed the handles from all the reels!  When the rods started nodding, they put the handles back on and let the party reel in their Cod!  That is a true story.

Bo!!ocks with a capital B :D

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Guest jay_con

I think its about 40 foot deepest where I was fishing. I possibly cast 120 foot. Am I an official uptider Steve?

Guest stevie cop

It's not b*llocks jabee, it's a true story! Unbelievable, but true!

And @summer@, again, it depends what bait you were using ;o)