Braid. Is it just me that hates the stuff?

john frum

Ryan Lynch:

Davy, was you using a grip lead? if so did you have a big belly of line out with it holding your grip lead into the seabed uptide of your position on the boat in 300ft of water?

Ryan

Hiya Ryan.. yes I was :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan, Even fishing downtide in that depth, you have loads of belly in the line....manys a time I thought I'd had a dropped take ,and Davy has told me to keep winding, then, hey presto...Skate on....and thats with 100lb Powerpro.....we think the best there is.... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Guest stevie cop

Thanks Ryan. I'm pleased it's not just me! I began to think I might be going mad(der) for a minute or two there!

Spurhound. please let me explain if you will, and please don't take this the wrong way. Fish move with the tide. Therefore they approach the boat from an uptide position. If you lowered your bait straight down in 300 ft of water in a moderate tide, lets just say, hypothetically, that it might hit the bottom some 150 ft behind the boat. If the man standing 6 feet uptide of you, ie nearer the wheelhouse, dropped his straight down, it would hit the bottom 144 ft behind the boat. The bloke standing 6 ft down tide of you, ie, towards the stern, his bait would hit the bottom 156 ft behind the boat. Now as the fish passed won tide, if everyone had the same diameter line, and fresh bait, etc, the man nearest the wheelhouse would be first into fish. If only one fish passed through, he would probably catch it. So by casting 20ft uptide of the man nearest the wheelhouse, your bait might end up hitting the bottom about 130ft behind the boat, which would still be 14ft in front of his. See what i'm getting at? That's how it works.

It doesn't matter what you think is happeneing, you need to know for sure where and what your bait is doing. For you to actually fish uptide of your position on the boat, ie, your bait hitting the bottom level with or in front of the boat, would require a 300 yard cast in 300 ft of water.

I hope this has helped.

Steve that storey seems very familiar mate,

How does sit on your hands you horrible little man sound, a quote often made by the same skipper while thornback fishing in the spring.

Boat casting has many advantages, hears a few, a large boat at anchore in the tide makes a lot of noise so by casting away into the quiet water you stand more chance, using fixed leads and casting ensures your bait is and the botton not streeming behind the boat, using a plain lead and casting up and across the tide alowing the bait to gently trundle down tide can be deadly.

There is little advantage to uptideing or boat casting in more than 100 feet of water.

The tern UPTIDEING was coined by the late great Ian Gellespie, who likened it to up streem chubbing.

When my farther started boat casting in the 60s lots of anglers laughted at him coments like, if you want to fish over there why not move the boat over there.

Boat casting in 300 feet of water is a total wast of effort,

but the what would I know about UPTIDEING, it only kept a roof over our heads and fed us for 18 years.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Guest jay_con

Do all fish swim with the tide? so they dont swim into it.

If your bait scent is drifting downtide would a fish not swim against the tide to get to it? We notice that when we catch fish they often have our discarded bait in thier stomach or mouth which I assume they picked up downtide before coming to get the bait on our hook? I assume the fish swam uptide to do this? But I may be wrong - Again.

thats right fish often swin against the tide following scents, but this makes no difference weather the angler is fishing up tide style or downtideing, as long as his bait is on the bottom.

UPTIDEING IN MORE THAN 100 FOOT OF WATER IS A WAST OF TIME AND EFFORT.,.,

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

sam-cox:

UPTIDEING IN MORE THAN 100 FOOT OF WATER IS A WAST OF TIME AND EFFORT.,.,

Sam.. I said there was no real point in doing it a few posts back, I only done it because you were not supposed to be able to do it :D

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Guest stevie cop

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGHH!!!!!

Davy!

No it isn't anything like f*cking anchoring! God please give me strength! Deep breaths, deep breaths. O.K, I've counted to 100, backwards, in greek!

Right. Here we go again!

If the tide was running, like you say it was, by the time your weight fell through 300 ft of water it would be well down tide of the boat.

UNLESS! UNLESS,... you had managed to cast 300 yards uptide, no f*ckit, lets make it even easier jsut to try to get this really simple point across, 150 yards uptide of the boat.

It all comes down to these two things davy. Did you cast 300 yards, even 150 yards, uptide of the boat? If you didn't, you were most definately not fishing uptide.

Jesus Christ, and that's just the bit about where your weight hits the bottom! I can't face mentioning all the other requirements of fishing uptide!

Dibble, dibble, dibble, (pencil up nose, pants on head).

Just because people say i'm a c***, doesn't mean I am one! Oh no! and I can prove it!

Guest stevie cop

I only did it because you were not supposed to be able to.

Who said that Davy? Who said you couldn't do it? Whoever it was must have a c*** as well then according to you! Or they obviously didn't reckon on your super natural powers.